Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anacharis/Elodea-Egeria Densa
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)19:06    Post subject: Anacharis/Elodea-Egeria Densa Reply with quote

Just wanted to ask, who has the most experience with this plant. I have a moderate amount of lighting, my Myrio Filgree is thriving and my pH is on the hard side. I just added a couple small batches of this to my 16 gallon and want to dose Excel tonight. I read a few postings that said it melts with Excel added.
Anyway, I am open to any and all comments on the subject of this plant. Also, does this secrete an antibiotic for Blue Green Algae as some others have said? And lastly did any of you get poked by this plant? I did and felt a bit itchy for a while.

http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_egeria.php
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stick to a low-tech setup so I can't say much about Excel.

What I can say is, after I introduced this plant to my tank and they've established themselves, algae seems not a problem any more. There are still some algae here and there but they don't grow so much as to obscure the glass or suffocate the plants.

I didn't include the plant on purpose, it came with the guppies I bought. I put the little stick into the substrate, now 9 months have passed and I got 4-5 strands each 10-15 cm long, with two different morphology, all from the same little stick. I have dumped some dead sections in the past. I don't have additional fertilization, so slow growth is expected, yet it is still comparably fast. I handle it by bare hand and don't seem to be harmed.

My specimen is actually Elodea nuttallii, but they are basically the same in terms of requirement and behavior.
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.21(Thu)10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good news. Sounds fairly content to grow on it's own. The plant surely has one of the roughest textures I've come across. Maybe I just got a few delicate scratches from it. I don't feel itchy anymore. I like how it filled out the back of the tank, partially concealing the Bubble Wall. I hope I can still dose Excel, the other plants were benefiting from it.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: