Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sick Goldfish! Need help diagnosing asap please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Vertebraillemery
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.19(Tue)18:20    Post subject: Sick Goldfish! Need help diagnosing asap please! Reply with quote

Tank: 55g planted
Fish: (all goldfish)
Black Moor (1 inch)
Pearlscale x2 (1 1/2 inch)
Fantail fancy (2 inch)
Filter: Eheim 2215
Gravel... not sure what kind but it is about 5inches deep?

This tank has been set up for almost 2 years.

Water changes weekly, occasionally bi-weekly. I change about 1/3 of it out. I add API Stress Coat Fish and Tap water conditioner.

Food Type: TetraFin goldfish flakes once daily. Peas and Lettuce once every couple days. Bloodworms once in a while also.

Tested water:GH 180
KH 180
pH7.5
N02 0
N03 40
Ammonia alert is at the safe mark.

It is my fantail who is sick. I noticed him yesterday resting on the bottom of the tank throughout the day. He was still eating and swimming around with his friends. Today he has been resting and hiding at the bottom in-between plants. He has a thin foggy looking layer over his eyes. His fins are limp and almost clamped down.

No other fish in this tank are showing any signs of stress or change in behavior.

I am very worried about him! Please help with any knowledge or advice you have.

Thanks in advance!

**Please move my post if it is in the wrong spot
(I also apologize if there is a similar post I should have posted on. I spent a decent amount of time looking and did not find anything.)

Last edited by Vertebraillemery on 2011.07.20(Wed)14:40; edited 1 time in total
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you had these fish?
Vertebraillemery
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the fantail for almost 4 years now. The other ones I have had for around 4 months.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is seriously wrong if a 4 year pld(+) fantail is only 2" Confused
What tests are you using?
How do you do water changes?
Vertebraillemery
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong... how? He's been healthy his whole life up until this point Sad

I am using API 5 in 1 aquarium test strips.

I change the water by siphoning the gravel.
Vertebraillemery
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel there is not much time left for him Sad This really sucks.
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to give you the best advice here. I found a website for diagnosing Gold Fish ailments.
http://www.goldfish-emergency.com/viewpage.php?page_id=174

A close up picture might help some of us here discern what might be the problem. From the symptoms I'd say it's possibly Nitrate Poisoning, according to the site.

You said you have 5" of gravel? Is any of it Planted? A planted tank will help to reduce the Nitrates over time. The site also said that a fish who has a type of ailment is more likely to be sensitive to the environment that caused it. Maybe the Fan tail suffered Nitrate Poisoning before and survived. Its a hypothesis.

I would recommend you visit the site, look over all the symptoms and ailments there. Then take corrective action. I hope this all pans out for you. Also, it might help to understand the tank problem, if you have a comprehensive water test done. If your using testing strips, sometimes they can be unreliable or expired.

Are all the other Gold Fish still acting normal by the way?

Last edited by bignellm on 2011.07.20(Wed)10:37; edited 1 time in total
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vertebraillemery wrote:
Wrong... how? He's been healthy his whole life up until this point Sad

I am using API 5 in 1 aquarium test strips.

I change the water by siphoning the gravel.

So why hasn't he grown?

5" of gravel, unless you are using an undergravel filter, is a bit unnecessary and could lead to anaerobic spots that give off toxins. Do you dig deep when gravel cleaning & what plants are growing?
What filter do you have?
The strips are not reliable and neither are the amminia alerts.
It could be a disease or could be a water quality problem. a photo would help but so should eliminating possible causes.
Vertebraillemery
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually 2 1/2 inches of gravel. I totally estimated before, and I just measured now. Sorry, that was a dumb decision.

Yes, the other goldfish are all fine.

My filter is an eheim 2215

Yes it is a planted tank.

I do dig deep when gravel cleaning, and I have assorted plants. Hygro's and Swords are the ones I know off the top of my head.

I am going to do a water change now then, my nitrate levels are usually at 0, and them being at 40 may be an indication of something?

I will also look at that website, thank you. I'll take a picture as well at some point today.
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vertebraillemery wrote:

Yes, the other goldfish are all fine.

my nitrate levels are usually at 0, and them being at 40 may be an indication of something?

I will also look at that website, thank you. I'll take a picture as well at some point today.

Sounds good. Nitrates at 40 indicates to me the plants aren't sucking up everything being produced fast enough. In high enough quantities it gets toxic to fish as well. Maybe the sick one as been sick from it before, so that one reacts to higher levels first because it's more sensitive. Kinda the way a person gets pneumonia more often after coming down with it once.

Several water changes over course of few days will help, in addition to the one your doing at the moment.

What other kinds of plants do you have in there? Slower growing varieties or hyper fast ones? I pretty certain Swords are fairly slow, not sure on Hygros; not familiar with them personally. I have a Myrio Filgree, some Moneywort, and Diandra in mine. I know Myrio is a fast growing plant. About an inch a day. My PennyWort and MoneyWort seem to grow faster too. Not nearly as fast, but noticeable. Duckweed is a heavy Nitrate sucker, but blocks light below the water line. Commonly found as the green small plants floating at tops of ponds.

If the tank isn't super heavily planted, maybe adding some more will help to consume the nitrates as they build up later. Keep us updated. I hope this all turns out for you.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: