Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Proper stocking number for Habrosus cories
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2011.07.19(Tue)16:31    Post subject: Proper stocking number for Habrosus cories Reply with quote

Moving house is always a good opportunity to redo a fish tank, right? For the past four years my 20 gallon long tank has had a Fluorite Red substrate. Now I'm going to sand so I can keep cories again. I love the little habrosus cories and would like to keep a good-sized shoal of them. The question is, what is a recommended number?

Current Stock:

Pair of Bolivian rams
Six neon tetras
One tough as nails three-lined pencil fish
Six Amano shrimp

Projected Stock:

The proposed shoal of cories
A couple of Otos (once the tank is re-established)
Upping the stock of tetras

Thoughts? Suggestions?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.07.19(Tue)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't put C habrosus with Bolivian rams.

A next size up cory like C panda would do better with them but TBH I would not add any more fish in a 20g.
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, diademhill. Is it that the rams will be too aggressive with a smaller Cory? I can definitely see that as an issue when they are breeding and they have spawned twice in the past few months.

I'm a little surprised that you wouldn't add more fish to the stocking. Is it a concern for too much overall bioload in a 20 gallon, or is it that each swimming level is fully stocked? If I were to forgo the cories, leaving the rams the bottom level, what about bringing up the number of tetras?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Territory & the chance of a defending ram parent getting a small cory stuck. Laughing
The tank is a bit small given the water quality needs of the fish you have -the bolivians comprise up half the tank stock so you are left with a ten gallon for the rest - seven tetras - so you could add to the neons or the pencilfish.
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2011.07.22(Fri)16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, just wanted to thank you for the advice. The move went smoothly and everyone is settling in well. I'll keep monitoring the water quality and then look to add more to my neon school in a few weeks.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: