Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Fluval C Series Power Filters
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.15(Fri)20:21    Post subject: New Fluval C Series Power Filters Reply with quote

OK, tanks been up and running. I've learned what the Whisper 2 antique my inlaws stuck me with is capable of. If I had to guess it has a flow rate between 30-50 GPH, depending on day and how clogged up cheap filter pad gets.

Now that its been 6 weeks with my inherited tank, I can get real conclusive. The HOB antique Tetra Whisper 2 is an antiquated, yet sturdy piece of ill-designed crap. Yes it's quiet, yes it moves water around; but even though my tank is cycled, it keeps spiking on Ammonia and Nitrites. I am soo done babying this filter.

I've been researching and it seems this might be a good choice:

Fluval C Series HOB power filters. I was thinking about the C3, which is rated at 153-ish GPH. That's about 10x water circulation per hour for my tank. My current HOB barely moves water 1/4 to the front of the tank on the surface and I think that any biofiltration is on accident at best.

Anyway, no one has reviewed this here and it is new. So, I'm off to pick one up and open to anyone with comments.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/06/10/cseries-fluval-power-filter-hagen-ups-ante-5-stages/

Official Site:
http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=107&PROD_ID=01140020010101

Online Demonstration series and product review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep-DiyO8hig&feature=related

Last edited by bignellm on 2011.07.15(Fri)21:00; edited 1 time in total
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.15(Fri)20:38    Post subject: Hour 3 Reply with quote

OK, my new power filter is installed, primed and pumping. The output on my waterfall and circulation looks 8-10 times stronger. The waterfall penetrates the surface 2/3rd the way to the front of my tank and dives 1/8th - 1/4th the way down.

My platy and otos seem very pleased, as they've been playing with the new current on and off for last 3 hours. My only beef with this new pump is that the intake tube is shorter than the one on the whisper. I will be seeking a longer tube for this unit. I would like one that reaches 3/4 the way down ideally. If I have to, I will construct a custom attachment.

Hopefully this unit seriously cuts the toxins and stabilizes my water chemistry.
In the very least, there is a 2 year warranty and my fish seem to be enjoying the rides.
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.15(Fri)21:31    Post subject: Hour 4? Reply with quote

Splashing from Power filter has increased, but this is due to the unit accidentally sucking in water bubbles from my bubble wall. Not sure it that is an issue to the unit, or a help to establishing a good colony in the unit of beneficial bacteria. For now, I'm saying not an issue.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.07.16(Sat)5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just annoying to hear bubbles going in and out of HOB filters, I don't think it hurts.

I haven't bought one of these myself but I think I'd prefer the older style Aquaclear HOB. The C-series seems to have very complicated media arrangements that I am not entirely convinced are necessary while the Aquaclear has a nice simple single cartridge that you just stack everything in. Very Happy
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.16(Sat)8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the media compartments don't seem complicated, but when compared to just stacking bags of stuff in an Aqua Clear; I do see your point. I do like this one, because I could just use my own media If I wanted to. Just like with the Aqua Clear. Both of these machines are made by Hagen and I've read many forums, stating the Aqua Clear was being phased out, so the C series could replace it. In either case, they're both good machines from what I read. Too soon for me to levy judgment on the C.

To save money in long run, I will probably do so. I think I did find out why my Tetra wasn't pumping as much as it should've. Upon dis-assembly, I noted the Impeller motor housing seemed to have melted. I'm not certain at all that the hole to put the Impeller in, was supposed to have been a chamber 2X the required size and oval. It was big enough for the whole shaft to shift back and forth in.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.07.17(Sun)2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, they definitely don't sound like bad filters. I'd be interested to see whether your filter turns noisy or not though, this is a recurring issue with my Aquaclears, possibly due to them being used on sand substrates (not gravel).
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.17(Sun)8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, the only noise is the sound of water falling into the tank and bubbles being sucked in. I will keep updates as to the performance.

Although, if it does turn noisy; I think I would know why. There is a little adjustable plastic piece at the bottom of the filter--that sits against the side of the glass. If there were a big enough imbalance, that might bounce against the glass and make a terrible racket.

My Solution? Probably Affix a rubber pad to glass and/or resolve reason for vibrating motor.
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.17(Sun)21:21    Post subject: Fluval C3 Update Reply with quote

Today, only a couple days after replacing filter, went to pet store and had my water tested again.

Results: Almost a full clean bill of health. Ammonia is way down now...barely registering, Nitrates way down at the first indicator mark on the dipstick, and Nitrites, not too bad. So, with my Flourish treatments, we will be having huge growth spurt soon, and wastes are now under control.

Seems my now back up filter (Antique Tetra Whisper 2) wasn't doing almost anything to keep things clean.
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.07.18(Mon)15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great that you found a filter that works for your tank, and that's quiet! I was fighting with a penguin filter that I inherited for about 7-8 months before one day it just completely gave out. Now I'm running two whisper 20i's and they are super quiet and my water conditions are still great Very Happy

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: