Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
albino barbs and plants
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
aquaBee
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.07.14(Thu)15:22    Post subject: albino barbs and plants Reply with quote

Hey all! I have been growing dwarf baby tears as a carpet plant in my aquarium. Today I introduced some albino tiger barbs, and they are just going to town on my baby tears! There's some algae and just a few brown areas on the baby tears, so I wonder if they're just trying to graze on the algae. Thoughts? I don't want to lose the entire plant to the barbs! Are they known to be destructive?? They're not touching the crinum at all.

Thanks Confused
aquaBee
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.07.14(Thu)16:03    Post subject: destruction Reply with quote

The barbs nearly destroyed half of my dwarf baby tears by eating the tiny leaves off the stems, and they even went after the tips of the long, beautiful crinum. I had to take them out and will be returning them to my LFS tomorrow. Sad

Is this a common occurrence? I can't find information about barbs attacking plants anywhere!

bee
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.16(Sat)2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...IMO in terms of aggressiveness and plant-unfriendliness, I'll put tiger barbs at a little higher level than P. scalare angelfish. They are constantly nipping and anything edible is taken without hesitation. Wink
aquaBee
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.07.16(Sat)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks keithkyli. I woke up the next morning to find my lemon tetras going crazy on the plants too! I've never seen this before! So both sets of fish went back to the LFS, much to the surprise of the owner.

On another note, my poor little dwarf baby tears is heroically sending out more runners in a valiant attempt at recovery. Very Happy
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: