Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Looking to replace plant
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.09(Sat)21:27    Post subject: Looking to replace plant Reply with quote

Currently I have an Amazon Sword Plant from my local chain store. It's been in the tank for 6 weeks. Found out even though my tank has what appears to be very bright light (no dark areas anywhere in tank) my light isn't strong enough for this plant. Leaves looking red and somewhat translucent. No apparent growth whatsoever.

I checked out some plants. Varieties of Java fern, and am leaning towards tracking down some Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov' or a similar smaller foreground plant. Maybe even Bolbitis heudelotii. Something small fry can hide in and won't hurt Oto Cats, Snails, and the almost indestructible Platy (only 3 deaths ever in tank--1 suicide by impeller motor, 1 death by birth, and 1 severely sick from Ich).

I am open to any suggestions. Small tank, T8 8000k Aqueon Light (low light), no Co2, HOB filter, 74-85 F degrees, and low fertilization.
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.09(Sat)22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran across this plant: Anubias barteri var. nana 'narrow leaf'
This is now a top consideration for me, as it looks cheap, low light requirements, and slow growth. Now just to find someone selling it around here or giving some away if I choose this one. Smile
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.07.10(Sun)20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, if you can't grow Amazon sword it really limits your choices as this is one of the hardier plants. Anubias is probably about it, possibly a Marsilea spp but these grow very very slowly.

What is the wattage of the light and what are the dimensions of the tank please?
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.10(Sun)21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

18" Deep--approx, T8 8000k bulb 15 watt. 16 Gallon Tank.
The Amazon still looks green, but has red hues and is partially translucent. Today it was uprooted by Apple Snail and kinda looks like some of the root system has been diminished. I replanted anyway for Fry Cover. I wish my fastest (The Myrio) was growing even faster, so I could splice up more of it to replace for the fry...

I found a cheap discounted Crypt: http://www.tropica.com/plants/plantdescription.aspx?pid=108A
I am now experimenting with... Might just melt away... Question Cash has been a real hamper for me on this atm.[/url]
mkristo
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.13(Wed)12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest adding a couple of root tabs around the base of your sword. They don't take in all of their nutrients from the water column like stem plants.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.07.14(Thu)1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mm, the Myrio might be growing better because it can reach up to the light.

To be honest might just be too low light for much to grow on the bottom except the hardiest plants. I agree that if you can get your hands on enough Anubias nana/"petite" then that is probably the best chance you'll have at getting a "carpet" effect.

Perhaps try some floating plants if you want to clutter up the tank a bit more? These are closer to the light & have access to atmospheric carbon dioxide so are much more likely to survive. It will definitely cut down light to the rest of your tank though.
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.07.15(Fri)21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the roots are damaged or rotting away, probably throw it out. Amazon sword, even under minimal light, can grow like a weed and will re-grow new leaves as long as the base/roots are healthy. If the root system is still good, maybe cut off the dying leaves and wait.
I'll second the anubias nana 'petite', a great little plant. They practically need only water to grow, at least this has been my experience.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: