Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!
 
ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
new member pssing through to say hello
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Author Message
brackishlover
New Members


Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Location: UK

PostPosted: 2011.07.08(Fri)14:09    Post subject: new member pssing through to say hello Reply with quote

just wanted to come by and say hello. I'm new to saltwater setups but have been keeping brackish and freshwater/planted tanks for some time. Always on the lookout for new friends and more tips Laughing
_________________
Lisa: smile and the whole world smiles with you Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2011.07.08(Fri)14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I just looked at your profile - pygmy puffers are not brackish but are true freshwater fish Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brackishlover
New Members


Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Location: UK

PostPosted: 2011.07.08(Fri)14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Hello,
I just looked at your profile - pygmy puffers are not brackish but are true freshwater fish Confused

been keeping dpp with bumblebee gobies in brackish water setups for many years with no problems. I breed BBG also. I'm not a fan of keeping either type in freshwater as I have found over the years a brackish enviroment encourages better colouring and breeding for the BBG. DPP also seem to be happier in brackish and enjoy a longer life. Very Happy
_________________
Lisa: smile and the whole world smiles with you Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2011.07.08(Fri)14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwarf puffers are not native to brackish water & I have kept & bred many.
They typically lived about 5 -7 years in my freshwater tanks.
BBG can be brackish depending on species?

what SG are your tanks & what GH?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brackishlover
New Members


Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Location: UK

PostPosted: 2011.07.08(Fri)14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Dwarf puffers are not native to brackish water & I have kept & bred many.
They typically lived about 5 -7 years in my freshwater tanks.
BBG can be brackish depending on species?

what SG are your tanks & what GH?

Shocked I'm not sure why you are being so argumentative? My first post just to say hello and your picking an argument Sad maybe this isnt the forum for me. I'm a happy go lucky person whos been keeping fish most of my adult life and just come to forums to chill out and chat with likeminded people, certainly not to defend myself. Think I'll jog on....
_________________
Lisa: smile and the whole world smiles with you Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2011.07.08(Fri)14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not being argumentative.
There is a lot of misinformation on the internet and it is not uncommon to see statements like " all puffers are brackish" when in fact they can be found in soft water rivers, hard water lakes, estuaries or full marine depending on species.




We should strive to keep fish to the best of our abilities and keeping fish out of the conditions it evolved to live in is not good fishkeeping.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brackishlover
New Members


Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Location: UK

PostPosted: 2011.07.08(Fri)14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
I'm not being argumentative.
There is a lot of misinformation on the internet and it is not uncommon to see statements like " all puffers are brackish" when in fact they can be found in soft water rivers, hard water lakes, estuaries or full marine depending on species.




We should strive to keep fish to the best of our abilities and keeping fish out of the conditions it evolved to live in is not good fishkeeping.
I don't believe I said 'all puffers are brackish'? Nope this is not a friendly forum at all. My mistake. goodbye.
_________________
Lisa: smile and the whole world smiles with you Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to:  
  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2008 phpBB Group

oF <=> oC in <=> cm G <=> L