Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Assassin Snail (Anentome Helena) Overall Health
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.29(Wed)18:50    Post subject: Assassin Snail (Anentome Helena) Overall Health Reply with quote

I have recently obtained 1 Assassin Snail via Incredibly reputable Petshop. This decision was taken upon 4 days of constant research into Pond Snail eradication. Was infested with the buggers when I purchased a Amazon Sword Plant from my local Mega Grocery Chain (Not Walmart, Meijer--a local joke). Quickly spotted 8 little PS's in differing locations all through me tank.

Found Assassins the most recommended, but played dumb to Petshop and awaited their suggestion. Low and behold, their suggestion was introduce an Assassin. Bingo, bought and added the little 1/2'' to my tank that day--Along with 2 energetic Oto Cats. Now for my possible problem:

Is my Assassin MIA, Dead, or the best Ninja Assassin ever? Question

Here's my clues to this mystery:
-No Visible sightings in last 72 hours
-No Visible Empty PS Shells lying about, to date
-Now Visibly see 12-16 PS scurrying about top of Gravel and across all the glass (One actually exited the tank altogether) (If alive, do Assassins Exude a pheromone that frightens other snails?)
-One large Apple Snail doing normal things and acting 3x more active than the PS (takes what looks like naps clinging to plants and glass--Petshop said, "Assassin won't bother with Apples his size")
-No Visible moving Gravel or Snail Trunks poking out (Some say they stay inside the Substrate 24/7, others say they cruise about the gravel and glass for prey)
-Plain ole' multi-colored variable size cheap gravel that came with the tank
-5-8 Regular ole' medium sized 3-5'' stones lying about
-1 large 12'' fake hollowed out Log (A 4-5'' Pleco lives in) (has some hollowed out chambers for small creatures to hide in additionally)
-3 small changes to decor arrangements (moving rocks and plants around)
-Tank went through a Mini-Cycle--lasting 2 days
-All Fry and other Aquaria Present and Accounted For
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.01(Fri)11:43    Post subject: Mystery Solved!!! Reply with quote

Very Happy
It's the Best Ninja Assassin EVER!
My Assassin was in a Ninja Showdown staring contest with my Pleco.
Assassin found while relocating the Pleco to a Local Pet Shop. Both were
found quietly staring at each other, upside down in the fake resin hollow log
decoration. Laughing

Now that Pleco and tank is put back together, (Pleco didn't go quietly) Assassin is now up to roaming around. All other fish are OK and the Oto Cats are now taking Pleco's old job.

Cool
Franklin
Members

PostPosted: 2011.10.22(Sat)19:18    Post subject: sneak attack Reply with quote

I had an assassin to do the exact same job in my 30 gallon tank.
It did absolutely nothing for about a week, then slowly controlled the snail problem in the tank then, disappeared into the sand.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: