Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Small Tanks and Filtration
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.24(Fri)13:29    Post subject: Small Tanks and Filtration Reply with quote

Hi all:

Sorry to start a new thread like this, but think I have a mild situation with my set up. Currently have a inherited Aqueon Bow Front 16 Gallon tank. For accessories:
-Tetra Second Nature Whisper 2 Power filter--Model 2B, screener tube MIA (issue resolved with a Bobble Water Bottle replacement cartridge) http://www.waterbobble.com/
-Hood and Lighting, standard from the Aqueon Kit, broken lighting fixture-rewiring didn't resolve (solved with a replacement from Petco, to my surprise a 20'' from Petco was a direct fit) (Later found out tank was an Aqueon, so shouldn't have been a surprise.
-Multi colored cheap gravel
-1, 5-6'' Plecostomus, really agitated by move.
-2, Silver Dollar (Metynnis argenteus)

That was two weeks ago, and the result was two dead Silver Dollar and a darting Plecostomus... Went to LPS and got a hollowed out fake log and Pleco is now happy. Added 2 Common Swordtails, 8 Platy (4 Mickey and 4 Red Wag), 4 Gold fish (dead in 1 week--no surprise, was a cycling idea--suggested by inlaws), 1 (15'') Water Wisteria,1 (5'') diameter Amazon Sword, 1 (1") Peacock Fern, and 1 (1") Compacta.

Equipment added:
-Fusion Model 200 airpump
-20" Bubble Wall

I think that my tank has completed it's cycling, and fish seem pleased. One even had some fry. I do not know if my power filter is up to the task of this tank. I had purchased a Cascade 150, which will be returned for a 200, because I read I need approximately 10x volume cycling/hour. I couldn't find specifics on the Tetra I have at the moment, so cannot compare much. I am concerned that the my plants may be in shock from lack of lighting this past 2 weeks. (Just replaced the broken light 2 days ago)

I would welcome any critiques on this set up and advice anyone has.

bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.24(Fri)14:14    Post subject: Hitch-Hikers Reply with quote

On a side note, tank now has some unintended inhabitants... a small population of either Apple Snails or Pond Snails (still too small for me to tell)
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.24(Fri)16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Aqua Hobby!

Your tank is looking very good. Live plants are the best for your fish.. it makes them happier and the tank healthier.

The plec is not a good fit for that small of a tank. If you can rehome him or take him back to the fish store please do so. Common plecs (which is probably what you have) can grow to a foot or longer in aquariums.

Sorry that you lost the gold fish but using fish to cycle a tank is not a good idea (sounds like you already know that)... very cruel to the fish. Now that your tank is cycled - just keep that in mind for all your future tanks. Wink

I'm not real plant knowledgeable but I think (if your lighting can support the sword) that it will way outgrow that tank also. Someone else will have to give better info on the plants.
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.24(Fri)17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile
Am looking for a new home for the Pleco, he is a common one as you said. Wish I did get him from a pet shop, but actually was part of the tank package from wife's parents... Maybe a pet shop, non-corporate, will be willing to take him in for me in the area. Until then, he's kinda stuck here. Thought about replacing him with a more colorful one, (Super-market chain calls it a Gold Algae Eater). One page says it will stay 1", while another says 6" mature. Doing more research on it at the moment.

Edited story:
OK, not good idea for replacement... Active when small, aggressive and predatory when larger. Found this page too: http://www.aquariumalgaeeaters.blogspot.com/
Might choose a Siamese Algae Eater Instead, though there is a really sleek one lower, but is a frail creature they say.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.06.25(Sat)2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure you tank is fully cycled -it takes more than two weeks and you could just be hitting the deadly part.

Please rehome the pleco and don't replace him as the livebearers you have fully stock the tank themselves. They all have some growing to do.

Try to have two buckets of prepared, dechlorinated water on standby to do a water change at the first sign of fish breathing rapidly or surface sucking.

BTW the gold algae eater grows to 10 " and eats fish slime as an adult.

More plants will improve the tank and help keep algae away. You may want to change the substrate before investing in plants though.
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.25(Sat)19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been keeping close eye on ammonia/nitrate levels. For about 3 days, bub kiss on the Ammonia. Fish behaviors look normal, no listing, no gulping at the top, no redness at edge of gills, schooling, and huge appetites. On a random check today, found a small Ammonia Spike of .05. Will be bumping up monitoring.

Keeping really close eyes on surviving Fry from first birth 3 days ago. Chlorinated water sounds soo good, to deal with my small invasion of snails from buying and adding my Amazon Twisted Evil , but I won't do it Mr. Green
I'll be good. Maybe am lucky and was invaded by free Apple Snails.

On the cycling, probably isn't fully stabilized yet, however on the speed note... It is a small world in there, and was using Tetra Starter Tabs, which include beneficial bacteria. Was doing 15%-20% water changes for first 5 days and adding a tab each time. http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/9116/product.web
I know it's a long shot any bacterial lived in shipment and not likely the product is a 100% sure shot of working...but I cannot explain 3 days of 0.0 ppm of Ammonia in any other way.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.06.26(Sun)2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nitrite spike is about to hit!
The tetra tabs seem to help process ammonia but any ammonia shows the tank hasn't cycled. Cut all feeding in half and add some more plants - faster growing types.

You will need to do more water changes. The water you use has to be DECHLORINATED ie no chlorine or chloramine.
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.26(Sun)14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duly noted on water changes. I was out and about today looking for more underwater plants and something to hunt down those snails. I picked up some Penny Wort (about the size of my Wisteria), and what the LPS called Assassin Snails. Is the Penny Wort a fast enough growing plant in your opinion?

Also, for algae, got a pair of Otos Cats and a 2" Apple Snail. I still don't see any stressed out behavior. As for Pleco, still seeking home. Plan on talking to wife's bff, cause she has a VERY long 12' tank. Very Happy
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.06.26(Sun)14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not have added any more livestock. The tank is already unstable.

Pennywort is not a good underwater plant , if you let it float it may help the tank but submerged it will add to the problem.
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.26(Sun)15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, what would be a perfect Nitrogen Sucking Plant for this situation in your experience?

Did a quick Google Search and found 2 suggested: Anacharis (Egeria densa)
Cabomba caroliniana. Are either of these ideal? If not am always open to suggestion.

Last edited by bignellm on 2011.06.26(Sun)16:03; edited 1 time in total
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: