Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need some info about snails and shrimp please :) (newb)
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sondre
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.19(Sun)8:52    Post subject: Need some info about snails and shrimp please :) (newb) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

was hoping that you could help me out here .

When cycling,would it be better to add a snail or shrimp first , instead of a hardy fish ?
Would snail or a shrimp have more chances of surviving ?

I can't do fishless cycling because I can't get ammonia, and I can't do silent cycling because I won't have enough plants in my tank ( only one light ) .

As I will have a few plants in my tank,that should help when dealing with ammonia , so I think it is a little better for whoever goes in it first .

I just want to know who would handle it better ? snail ? shrimp ? or fish ?

I know most of the people add fish first,but I just want to know if adding something else would be better ?

Thank you
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.06.19(Sun)15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a dead shrimp from the freezer instead of ammonia.
sondre
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.20(Mon)5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Use a dead shrimp from the freezer instead of ammonia.

thats what I done Smile added one cooked prawn , really got no idea what I am doing,but will keep adding one prawn a day and see what happens .
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.20(Mon)11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you don't need ammonia for fishless cycling. you can use fish food, or in your case dead shrimp. don't put anything live in, however. it is inhumane.

29 G
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.20(Mon)15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to keep adding prawns... the idea is that as it rots it gives out ammonia gradually over time giving the filter bacteria time to multiply and convert the ammonia to nitrite then nitrate, which won't harm the inhabitants in low doses. Some will be used by plants, but most is removed by weekly water changes.

So just add one prawn (usually in an old stocking to make it easy to remove when you're done with it) and keep checking your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels to see when the cycle has finished.

Hope that helps,
Zowie

PS Have you seen the articles section, some good information there about cycling... http://www.aquahobby.com/e_articles.php
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: