Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Still curious about female betta making bubble nest?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
LaheyandRandi
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.09(Thu)1:32    Post subject: Still curious about female betta making bubble nest? Reply with quote

I actually have a Veil-tail female who sits alongside my Veil-tail male in a dual tank. Today I came home from work and was about to pinch in a little afternoon snack for her when she started this little snake dance and spewed eggs out of her ovipositor.

Now, I had seen a Betta do this before but never one of mine (considering I just started buying females). Both of us had that classic "O.o" look on our faces with my hand poised over her side of the tank before I shouted, "YOU JUST SQUIRTED EGGS! YOU DID THAT, AND YOU DID THAT RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!"

This isn't what perplexes me, though. What does is that I know males make bubble nests when they're happy and healthy, ready to snap on some Barry White and start with that "Awww-awww-awwgnh!" you know, putting the lights down low and trying to seduce his lil' shawty, but I didn't think the females made bubble nests as well! Here I am thinking that its a male thing only, like a peacock with bright green feathers showing off to his fowl little lady what kind of shaky wings he has to protect her offspring with.

Here's the kicker--the nest is sizable, and almost immediately after dropping the eggs out, she went about gathering them and putting them in her nest. Is this really that uncommon? All signs point to female, she's even striping, and her belly swelled up so much that I cut back on feeding her so much thinking I'd damage her swim bladder or something. The "swelling" has actually gone down since she had her little deposit today, so I wonder
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.09(Thu)1:42    Post subject: Picture might help Reply with quote

This is the bubble nest. It wraps about three inches to the left and those little white spots underneath the bubbles are the eggs she gathered. She's also defending them ferociously, so I'm staying away from the tank until its feeding time so as not to stress her:

This is from the night before she popped those eggs out...as you can see her belly is swollen and the ovipositor is just a little white dot above her little fins:

Hope that helps.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.06.09(Thu)2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Females will sometimes assist a male with picking up eggs after spawning and it is not unusual for a female to blow bubbles.
Only a female can lay eggs. They are in the same water so are sharing hormones.

You really need to do something about their accommodation. Those "Betta tanks" should be banned as they are not suitable for any fish. A ten gallon tank with heater & filter need not cost much.
ant1
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.09(Thu)13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

do betta's store sperm in the same way mollies do?.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.06.09(Thu)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the eggs are fertilised after the female expels them.
LaheyandRandi
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.09(Thu)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't have room for a 10 gallon tank in my room. Their little tank is fine for them, they're happy and healthy and have enough room to swim around.

I kind of figured that already, that only the females lay eggs, but they're not spawning so I was really just curious about the female's bubble nests.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.06.10(Fri)1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LaheyandRandi"]Unfortunately, I don't have room for a 10 gallon tank in my room. Their little tank is fine for them, they're happy and healthy and have enough room to swim around.

I kind of figured that already, that only the females lay eggs, but they're not spawning so I was really just curious about the female's bubble nests.[/quote

How stable is the room temperature and how are you maintaining water quality.

They are not "happy and healthy", they are hardy enough to survive poor conditions. If you can't fit a ten gallon try a 5 gallon - normally the minimum recommended for one Betta - and the footprint of a toaster
LaheyandRandi
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.10(Fri)8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The room temperature is stable. I maintain it at a good cool temp as of right now because I have a cockatiel that I like to keep alive as well.

I clean their tank every four days, or as often as it even starts to get cloudy. Normal procedure is as soon as I see that they need changing, I have two bowls that I fill with distilled water and condition, and let sit for a good six hours before I net them and put them in them. Then I clean the tank with hot water, no product, let it dry naturally and its the distilled water again, another six hours of sitting and more conditioning then its back in the tank.

A five gallon one is not even feasible. I have a room with big, old furniture (dating back to the forties) and I don't have the space on top of either beareu to keep a tank bigger than what I have. NO OFFENSE but I'm not worried about their health and their happiness because I know how to take care of them, its their behavior, more specifically, female betta behavior that I was curious about. I have had males a lot and each of them have lived for at least five years each under my care. The male is absolutely happy, and so is she being that they're each only two inches at the max (not counting his flowy tail). Theyre not losing color, theyre actually brighter than ever and I maintain their daily diet with regular food and at least frozen bloodworms once a week. Trust me, they're cool--they're bad asses.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.07.12(Tue)14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clear some things up....Betta do not have to have a 5g or a 10g as long as they are kept clean. IF you just have to filter a tank, it needs to be a sponge filter as any HOB/FLOW type tend to cause fin damage. Only females or male PK don't get the damage or not as bad...

I breed and show my Betta. I keep the show fish and my male breeders in 32 oz mason jars with daily water changes or every other day if I just can't get to it.

Now...for pets, I recommend no less then a 1g tank. I have a retired Show Male that is now my Wet Pet and he is in a 1g hex here at work. Gravel bottom, 1 live Java Fern. No filter and heater ONLY when needed (winter). He gets fed 4 pellets a day (none on weekends) and a complete water change 2x a week. IF you don't want to take that much effort with your fish then yes I would suggest a larger tank so you can be lazy in your fish care.

The reason that she expelled her eggs is that they are both ready to breed but they can't get together due to the divider. I have had several females do what you described.

Females will also care for eggs/fry...I know because I have video of my female caring for the eggs and I have about 25-50 fry in the spawning tank. The male became an egg eater so I pulled him and let the female take over.

Lori
Show Betta Breeder
IBC Member
overacoppermoon.com
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: