Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pregnant Neon Tetra?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
d-townmike
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.25(Wed)19:34    Post subject: Pregnant Neon Tetra? Reply with quote

Got a 20 gallon tank, 2 mickey mouse platys, 2 black neon tetras, and 4 regular neon tetras. Oh an an otto as well (plecos just get too big).

The tank is several months old, never any real problems in quite a long time and pH is normal. I just noticed today one of my neon tetras is quite pudgy. It is still eating and swimming normally and scales look fine. I know neons are egg-layers, but didn't think they had a really noticeable pregnant belly. I've also had neons for many, many years and I've never seen this before.

Here are a couple of pictures with my camera phone (digital camera just couldn't catch that good image):

Any suggestions or advice would be helpful!
lularib
Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.25(Wed)23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it look like cotton? It is most unlikely that this belly aspect refers to reproduction. It is probably some kind of disease, such as fungus. I hope it is not the neon tetra disease, with no known cure, as far as I now. I would put this fish aside, in a hospital tank and observe it further.

Good luck
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.05.26(Thu)9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened multiple times with my neons that I had a few years back. I never got any babies. It just went down after a few weeks. Make sure that specific tetra is not being a pig and eating all the food and make sure you do not over-feed them.
lularib
Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.26(Thu)10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. It can be overfeeding too.
d-townmike
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.27(Fri)21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still has a silvery color to it; sometimes whiteish depending how the light shines off it.

It's eating, but not like a pig. That's what my Mickey Mouse Platys do.

I'll try to cut back on the amount of food I drop in, but I've been doing that for a month now.

Think I should only feed them a tiny pinch of flakes once a day instead of twice?
lularib
Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.27(Fri)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stick to two times a day little feeding but in one of those I would offer just some spirulina based food. Vegetarian food is good if he is overfed. Will help him empy his intestines. Also I would check the quality of the food that is being presently offered.
Brenda24
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.20(Mon)1:12    Post subject: neon terta fish Reply with quote

neon tetra's (I'm assuming) need a 10 gallon tank
they need groups of 6 or more
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: