Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hello
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
alanjohnson
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.15(Sun)6:35    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Razz Hi Guys
the fish bug got me again...!!
I've been living in Singapore for 4 years now and feel settled enough to get back into the hobby after 6 yrs out of it , I gave my last set up (in the UK) to a fishmad friend before leaving the uk

my new tank is currently being built, I expect delivery end of next week
I have been researching like crazy for the past month or so,not only the tank/ equip and set up etc for my chosen inhabitants, but also or a good aquarium outlet I can build an ongowing relationship with.!
I came across your site last week, and I have to say I'm very pleased I did .!

how refreshing to read (and now communicate) with intelligent. serious and polite people who share a common interest, and are happy to give quality advise to others, with nothing more than the welfare of the fish and the joy of sharing
so a big THANKYOU from me
and I look forward to chatting with you going forward
Kind Regards
Aj
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.05.15(Sun)11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Welcome to AOA.

Which part of the UK are you from?

What is the tank you have ordered?
If your tank doesn't have built in filters you can start a fishless cycle with the filter working in or on a bucket or tub to save time. Smile
alanjohnson
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.16(Mon)21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There..!!
Thank you.! Smile
I'm from a little place called Burtonwood in Cheshire, but lived in London for 12 yrs, then Geneva, now Singapore....

am happily settled out here so time to get my new tank..!

tank hasn't arrived yet its due friday
its approx 150G, 5ft/2ft/2ft
filter is on order ,2177 Eheim UV, ( think I got that right)
Thanks for the advise on cycling I never thought of that.!, but as it will only arrive the day after the tank will not be able to start in the bucket

will be picking up the filter on saturday from the shop when I go to sort out the tank decor
the guys in the shop have a piece of plastic 5ft by 2ft (representing the tank bottom) that I can put on the floor, I can then "play" with their driftwood and rock stocks until I find an arrangement I like
take a pic with my phone, so I can remember it for when I start setting up at home..!
I searched through a lot of shops here in Singapore before I found one I could build an ongoing relationship with, think its important from a trust and advise point of view also to use a shop that has a genuine interest in the welfare of the fish going forward with you, rather than one that forgets you as soon as you hand the cash over..!
anyway very excited and can't wait to get going with the set up..!!
thanks again for the Message ..!! much appreciated and always a pleasure to chat

Rgds
A
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.05.17(Tue)2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a small world......
I purchased a horse form someone who lived in Burtonwood.
Laughing

Nice size tank. What are you planning to keep?
alanjohnson
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.17(Tue)3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha..!! WOW it is a small world indeed ..!!
when I was a teenager in Burtonwood (many moons ago) my Sister and I used to keep our Horses at Worsleys farm on the edge of the village..!
I then did my AI at bold heath equestrian centre after a brief stint at Northfields,
you keep horses still.?

I wanted to go for a larger tank for numerous reasons
not least of which is that over here in singapore is generally around the 32'c mark, and being a northern boy I like my appartment to be a bit cooler than that, but aircon can make rapid temp changes a smaller tank, would likely suffer quicker changes than the heater/chiller can keep up with..which would not be good for the fish obviously
will be putting the tank through some serious temp scenario testing during the fishless cycling, so have a month or two to get it right and understand better the effects my big tank when full

I really want a nice Black Ghost Knife fish (I kind of like oddballs)and some Altum and Blue Angels , and a couple of golden chinese algae eaters, I'm getting conflicting advice on keeping the BGK together with Angels, appreciate everyone experiences something different, and all fish have individual characters and don't necessarily conform to a standard pattern of behaviour,
all these fish will be young and smaller than adult size and have plenty of room in a well planted tank, might give it a shot.? what do you think..? I am slightly concerned about the stories of Angels loosing eyes etc

Thanks Again..!
A
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.05.17(Tue)3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes I still have horses but no longer have that mare.

Your tank is minimum size for a BGKF. They are OK with angels although I would stick to Altums and not mix these with others.
Give the golden algae eaters a miss as they do rasp other fish as they get older. Golden bristlenoses are much nicer anyway. Smile

What about a shoal of glass knives?
alanjohnson
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.17(Tue)4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
will start reading up on the Glass Knife Fish and Golden Bristlenoses

thanks Again..!
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: