Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can I keep Fish while at College?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MrSpock
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.09(Mon)15:02    Post subject: Can I keep Fish while at College? Reply with quote

I've had fish a few times before, but my mom did most of the work. The last time I had fish was a few years ago; it ended with a disastrous heater malfunction while I was away. Recently, I put a plant into a 2.5 gallon tank, and have been admiring all of the creatures that appeared (snails and all kinds of small things). I'd like to get into the aquarium hobby, however I am beginning college next year, so I will be moving a lot, between the dorms, my house, and possibly apartments for summer internships. There will probably be breaks where I would have to leave the dorms for a week, and I do not want a repeat of the heater malfunction. Is it feasible to keep fish/invertebrates under these circumstances? If so, how could I move an aquarium between dorms and my house, which is about an hour drive from my college? I currently have a 2.5 gallon aquarium (with the plant) that my sister used too keep goldfish in (I now know that that was horrible). Would I be able to keep some Red Cherry Shrimp in such a tank while attending college? They seem pretty interesting. Would this tank be easier to move since it is not glass?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.05.11(Wed)17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small plastic aquarium is what I'd suggest...I'd try and avoid constantly moving glass aquariums.

As for stocking RCS may work, hard to say. Probably wouldn't put a fish as constantly moving it will get very disruptive.

It certainly wouldn't be easy as there would be a disruption everytime you had to move the tank. I think the easiest way to move would just be to drain the tank down to 1" of water and carry the whole thing intact in the car boot, driving carefully because it can splash. I've done this a few times with my small (glass) tanks when moving house, it may be easier with a plastic tank.
Anime_forever_303
Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.15(Sun)2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a betta they are easy to take care of and very hardy and they are beautiful as well. ^_^ hope this helps a bit
MrSpock
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.15(Sun)9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! If I was to drain the tank down to 1" would I have to take the beta or RCS out and put them in bags? Would I have to store some of the extra water in bags to add it later so that the disruption is limited? Another idea I had was to keep Triops (somewhat like sea monkeys in that they hatch from dried eggs, but bigger and cooler) since they only live for three months, so I could move in between life cycles, but so far I have been unsuccessful at hatching them.
lularib
Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.15(Sun)12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep the aquarium in the dorm, if the longest time you are supposed to be away is a week. Pick a good brand heater, an eheim automatic feeder and a timer for the lights. When you come back you do the water change. It is better than moving the aquarium frequently, which can be stressful for the fish.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: