Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Stocking 55 gallon
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lisam
Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.04(Wed)4:54    Post subject: Stocking 55 gallon Reply with quote

I need some advice to help finalize my stocking list.

Tank = 55 gallon, low tech/low light, moderately planted w/lots of Java fern, anubias & crypts, large chunk of driftwood. Fishless cycled several months ago & slowly adding fish since then.
Filter = Rena XP2, also a small powerhead. May be adding a small HOB for the future, as I now realize I should have gotten the XP3!
Substrate = fine sand
Maintenance = weekly 40-50% water change - learning to love that Python! Very Happy
pH = 7.6
GH ~5
KH ~3
Ammonia/Nitrites = 0
Nitrates ~5-10

Current stocking:
1 Bristlenose Pleco
6 C. habrosus
3 C. bilineatus (San Juan cories)
4 Otocinclus
7 Cherry Barbs

My current plans for the future:
2-3 more Otos (in quarantine as we speak)
3-4 more C. bilineatus
4 P. buffei (African 3 striped catfish) - these are currently in my 30 gallon & I'd like to give them some more space, and possible add 2-3 more for a larger school?

My questions - With those plans in mind, is my tank already fully stocked? The Cherry barbs were a concession to my husband, but now that they've been in the tank for a while, even he admits that they weren't quite what it needed.

I've ended up with a bit of a bottom heavy tank, and while I don't feel the need for tons of color, I admit that most of my fish choices tend to be a little drab. I don't necessarily want to get rid of the Cherry barbs, but I'm wondering if there is enough space left in the tank for a small school of mid/upper level swimmers - maybe something with a bit more color?

If so, I'm completely open to suggestions! If the tank is fully stocked as is, I'll just learn to live with it! Wink

Thanks for any advice! Very Happy
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.05.04(Wed)7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you keeping the other tank running?
lisam
Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.04(Wed)19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the 30 gallon is stocked too heavily right now, so part of the reason for moving the P. buffei out is to lighten the load in that tank a bit.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.05.05(Thu)0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is in the 39 gallon?

A swap over may be better than buying more fish.
lisam
Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.05(Thu)5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full setup for the 30 gallon is listed on my profile, but the stocking is:
6 Harlequin rasboras
4 P. buffei
1 rubbernose pleco
1 dwarf gourami
4 Otocinlus
4 African dwarf frogs
multiple RCS
2 nerite snails

This tank has been up & stable for over a year now & I hate to mess with it too much (other than removing the 4 P. buffei). It also has a Flourite gravel substrate, so I wouldn't be able to move the cories to that tank.

I could leave the P buffei numbers at just 4 (they seem fairly content right now), but I had assumed that they would prefer a larger school. Likewise with the C. bilineatus.

Any other thoughts? Smile
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.05.05(Thu)5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move the P. buffei & the dwarf gourami ot the larger tank.

Then look for an upper level but not too big shaoling fish to finish the 55. Head & tail lights, flame tetras or Pristellas would do the trick. (Neons, cardinals & rummynoses stay n the lower half.)

Have you only got cherry barb female? the males are usually briliantly coloured : Confused
lisam
Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.05(Thu)18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has potential! Smile How many for the upper level school do you think?

What about having only 3 C. bilineatus? Should I worry about getting another 2-3 for a larger school? So far they seem to be very outgoing & not hiding at all.

I have 3 male cherry barbs - they each have a slightly different tone to them. One is almost black he's such a dark red, one is a more classic red color, and one is just plain old pink! Think my fish aren't of the best genetics! Embarassed They do give the tank a little color, but the 3 of them aren't out in front very much.

Thanks for all of your advice. I'll get some photos up soon. Smile
lisam
Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.05(Thu)19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a small school of glowlight danios VS one of the tetras?
The Pristellas are growing on me too... Laughing
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: