Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
cause of death?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lisam
Members

PostPosted: 2011.04.12(Tue)19:02    Post subject: cause of death? Reply with quote

I think I killed my 2 Corydoras trilineatus today. Sad

I did a regular water change (about 40%) just like every week, and 1 hour later, they were both dead. Both of them had a reddish area on their ventral abdomen, near their anal fin. The only thing different was that I forgot to stir the sand during last week's water change - would 2 weeks have been long enough for a harmful gas pocket to develop? That is about the only thing that I can think of that would have killed them so quickly & left everyone else fine. Can anyone tell me if this is likely, or what else might have killed them?

The tank is a 55 gal, low tech/low light setup with 1 inch fine sand. It was fishless cycled & has been up & running for about 2 months. I've been slowly adding fish, but those 2 cories were actually some of the first residents. I have not added any new fish for the last 2 weeks - I've been waiting for my LFS to get another shipment of C. trilineatus so that I could get a larger school established. Thinking I might end up going with a different cory species at this point. Rolling Eyes

The current stocking (minus the two dead cories) is:
7 cherry barbs
8 C. habrosus
4 otocinclus
1 bristlenose pleco

Water tests (pre-water change): Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=10
Temp stays solid at 78 degrees, same water conditioner used as always.

Thanks for any input - I REALLY don't want this to happen again!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: