Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Favorite dive sites!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.28(Mon)23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that sounds great. I'll look into it.

What a shame if I can't do it here...guess I will just have to have a trip up there Laughing could do that training and do another dive course while I'm at it in a nice place Smile
Catfishy
Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.28(Mon)23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck yeah, it would be a good excuse for a dive trip! And why not go up to Cairns and do a liveaboard while you're at it Very Happy And the thing about Reef Check is, once you're trained, you can volunteer for it anywhere in the world.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.28(Mon)23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that would be awesome, all this talk is making me really want to go diving again!

Hmm sounds like it could definitely be worth doing, especially seeing as I'm doing marine biology at uni at the moment...
Catfishy
Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.28(Mon)23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diving is an addiction Very Happy I studied zoology and marine biology as well. And the diving here is a major factor in why I wanted to keep living here after my student visa ran out...
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.07(Tue)22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking into doing some more diving courses soon and remembered this thread! On the PADI site, it says to be able to do the rescue diver course, you need to have done adventure diver. I've done the advanced open water course, which comes after the adventure diver course (on their little chart of all the courses), so I was wondering to do your rescue diver/dive master did you do the adventure diver or just the advanced open water? I'm fairly sure I can get away with just doing the advanced open water...doesn't make much sense to me, maybe they have just made a mistake on their site.
Catfishy
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.07(Tue)23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adventure dive courses are basically just the individual components of the advanced open water course (which consists of five adventure dives), so if you've done that you're good to go. I think most people just go straight to advanced from open water anyway. Good luck!
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.08(Wed)0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay I thought it was something like that. Thanks! Should be all good then. Did you do the adventure diver course, or just go straight to advanced open water?
Catfishy
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.08(Wed)0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went straight to advanced open water. That's just the way it seems to be done around here, and anyway, I don't really see much point in mucking about when you can just do it all at once, especially if you're planing on getting to rescue diver.

How's the diving down there in Sydney? A lot of the dive companies around here went out of business after Cyclone Yasi Sad
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.08(Wed)0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, sounds good then. Yeah, I just need to do a first aid course again and then I can do the rescue diver.

I haven't actually done any diving around here...the closest I've been is in Jervis Bay (where I did my open water course). That was cold Laughing and diving wasn't great. I don't think there are many good spots around Sydney for diving, pretty sure none will compare to up there, but just for doing my next courses I guess it's fine.

Really? Have you been diving since the cyclone?
Catfishy
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.08(Wed)0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been diving a couple times since the cyclone. Once as a DM on a trip out to Yongala (which was very different, as many of the soft corals and other sessile organisms had been stripped from the wreck), and a couple times for a Reef Check Australia training course. Which was very interesting but the diving wasn't spectacular, as we were more just focused on learning survey methods. The dive shop I was sorta working with unfortunately had to shut its doors due to business loss after the cyclone, and I just can't afford to pay for my own trips at the moment. Sigh...
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: