Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help! New Aquarium
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jack D
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.23(Wed)20:32    Post subject: Help! New Aquarium Reply with quote

I recently bought a brand spanking new 20 gal. aquarium. I am not new to fish keeping, although I haven't had fish in many years. Well I set the tank up and ran it for about 8 days. I figured that was a good enough cycle. So I went to the pet shop today and bought 5 tiger barbs, a rainbow shark, and a green terror chichlid. After a few hours, ALL of my tiger barbs are dead. My green terror is extremely sluggish and basically lying on the gravel. My rainbow shark is basically the only fish that kind of acts normal.

Now besides the obvious too many fish and too small of a tank, what is the problem? Not cycled long enough?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.03.24(Thu)2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not cycled at all, too many & unsuitable fish.
http://www.aquahobby.com/e_articles.php
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.24(Thu)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of buying the fish you propably should have invested in a liquid test kit.

Sorry for the loss.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.26(Sat)19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that it went so badly for you (and your fish).

Is there anyway to take back the Green Terror and Shark?

You need to let the tank cycle for weeks... not days. It can take up to six weeks for some tanks. You need a good test kit (liquid is far better than paper) or a good local fish store that you can take water to once a week and have them test it for you.

While it's cycling it's a great time for you to have fun researching appropriate fish and how many you can have in that size tank.

THEN, once the tank is truly cycled... you can add fish... slowly.

When you are researching fish you can post on here what types you are looking at and how many and people here can help you determine if they will work in your tank.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: