Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
do fish sleep
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bigw
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.11(Fri)12:27    Post subject: do fish sleep Reply with quote

does any body know if fish sleep
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.11(Fri)14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered the same thing myself... I know my corys never seem to sleep. I suffer a bit from insomnia and often take a torch to look at my fishes and the corys are always scavenging around and come to see what I'm doing. The rasboras and barbs are nearly motionless in amongst the plants in their little shoals, which looks a little like sleep. But I don't know about true sleep... guess it would be difficult to hook a fish up to a brain wave monitor Laughing .

Wiki had this to say:

Quote:
Sleep in fish is not extensively studied.[9] Some species that always live in shoals or that swim continuously (because of a need for ram ventilation of the gills, for example) are suspected never to sleep.[10] There is also doubt about certain blind species that live in caves.[11] Other fishes seem to sleep, however. For example, zebrafish,[12] tilapia,[13] tench,[14] brown bullhead,[15] and swell shark[16] become motionless and unresponsive at night (or by day, in the case of the swell shark); Spanish hogfish and blue-headed wrasse can even be lifted by hand all the way to the surface without evoking a response.[17] A 1961 observational study of approximately 200 species in European public aquaria reported many cases of apparent sleep.[18] On the other hand, sleep patterns are easily disrupted and may even disappear during periods of migration, spawning, and parental care.[19]

So I guess it has a lot to do with the type of fish... interesting topic.

Zowie.
bigw
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.11(Fri)14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your reply Very Happy
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.12(Sat)1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! If they do sleep I wonder if they dream... what would they dream about? Nice juicy blood worms perhaps Confused.
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.18(Fri)8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angelfish (the cichlid) sleep too. When I come home at night and switch on the lights, they remain motionless on the bottom even if I swing the flake bottle in front of them. I agree that Corys are active all the time, but they may take a "nap" for several seconds at any time and at strange places.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: