Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Weird growth on pleco
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.05(Sat)13:30    Post subject: Weird growth on pleco Reply with quote

120g, 78 degrees f, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, >5ppm nitrites, weekly 5-10g water changes
7 juvenile silver dollars ranging from 2.5" - 4"
5 bolivian rams
5 otos
5 green corys
and 1 12" choco pleco

I bought and set up the tank 6 months ago, and initially cycled it using seachem stability, it produced water specs wih 0 ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, but about 3 months ago when I rehomed certain aggressive fish I added new fish and didn't think that I needed to add em slowly instead of all at once, and my cycle was shot. but using the seachem stability again and frequent water changes, it stabled out.

I feed them 2-3 small pinches or 1-2 medium pinches of new life spectrum regular formula 1-2 times a day or more depending on how much they receive in the morning. I also have veggie wafers that I'm using at night to supplement the plecos diet, but I'm developing something more substantial for it.

I recently purchased a 12" chocolate pleco about a week ago and it was adjusting just fine to the new tank, especially from the conditions it was brought in to the petstore (4-5 12"ers in home depot buckets with ice cold water).

my question is is that I just noticed a lump/growth on my plecos underside and I don't remember seeing it when I got it, and I know that shouldnt really be there. I have two pics to help describe what I'm seeing and if its nothing dangerous then thats perfect, but if it looks like itll lead to something please give me some advice. also I appologize for the lack of picture quality, my regular digital camera got washed in the washer and all that works is the battery and mem card, so the pics were taken with my phone

diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.03.05(Sat)13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an ulcer and doesn't look particularly inflammed. The question is what caused it?
In many fish these are viral and incurable but with a pleco from less than optimum conditions it could be from a heater burn.

If it is a burn it should heal now the fish is well house but keep up the water changes and use a dechlorinator like Stress Coat.
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.05(Sat)13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will, my house has a high end water softener that removed chlorines and makes the water soft, I have a decent test kit, but it doesn't include softness and such so that is also something I need to invest in.

I don't know the cause either, I'm in the process of designing a custom filter for my tank and it will include a tower for the heater so I can take it out of the tank.

thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on it and post anything here that changes
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.03.05(Sat)14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of water softener?

Some are not compatible with fish.
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.05(Sat)16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, I would have noticed something by now if it was incompatible with the fish.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.03.05(Sat)16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily as the effects can be cumulative.

How do you maintain it?
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.05(Sat)16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

the water softener? by adding salt to it when the level gets low, and having a matinence guy come out over 6-8 months to give it a look over. as for the tank, frequent water changes and regular testing
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.03.05(Sat)17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stop using water from your softener.

These work by replacing calcium & magnesium ions with sodium ions. Chlorine is not removed by this but sometimes there is a second filter cartridge?

This is not good for the long term health of fish and you won't be able to test levels with standard test kits.

One day the balance tips and the tank crashes.
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.05(Sat)17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would, but carting water from outside up the stairs is not the easiest, especially with my tank size. however I will by a better test kit with more options and keep an eye on them and the pleco too
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.03.05(Sat)17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get aquarium test kits to monitor the results of a softener.
Could you get a small RO unit or fit a tap before the softener?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: