Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Windelov's Fern problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)13:25    Post subject: Windelov's Fern problem Reply with quote

Hi, I've been keeping fish for a while now, but I'm very new to a proper planted tank. I've had plants but never knew what they were, but I'm getting into it now and I think I've identified all my older plants.

My problem is with a new Windelov's fern which my LFS gave me for free when I bought my dwarf anubias and Java fern. I have gently tied it to the end of a piece of drift wood and it seemed to be doing alright, no apparent die back and it started putting up two new leaves. However as these leaves have unfurled the top portion has gone translucent and doesn't look right at all. Any ideas on what I've done wrong or what I need to do?

Other flora: Brazilian pennywort, Dwarf Ambulia, Golden Moneywort, Anubias Congensis, a alternanthera (not certain I've got this one right, but probably Amaranth Redroot) and some Variegated Japanese Dwarf Rush (I know it's not really aquatic, but I didn't know that when I bought it).

Fauna: 4 x Kuhli loach, 3 x albino cory, 4 x Harlequin rasbora, 6 x Cherry barb.

Tank info: 100 litre bow fronted, substrate is smooth gravel with a sand section along the front.

Water parameters: ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 5-10ppm, pH7.0, KH3-4dH. 30% weekly water change and addition of APIs Leaf Zone.

Thank for any help,
Zowie.
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of lighting, and how much lighting do you have? What is your photoperiod?

It could be that your Java Fern has some sort of nutrient deficiency, but more likely than not, it is just normal Java Fern growth. The tips do start out initially translucent.
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anthony,

I've unscrewed the lid and checked the light, it's just the one that came with the tank, I don't know anything about lighting really. The bulb says "Sylvania Luxline plus, FHE14W/T5/840"... is that alright or should I be changing it? I have the light on from around 8am until 7pm.

If the tips do start out initially translucent maybe I don't have anything to worry about and it is just normal growth, so I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the help, can you recommend any links that might help me understand the lighting systems?

Zowie.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tube is not suitable for plant growth in fact they are often supplied for goldfish tanks to discourage algae.
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. That doesn't sound good at all, I'll be needing a new light then... any suggestions on what I should have? Or should I just ask my LFS as they've been really good so far.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not ask what they stock and come here for us to discuss the relative merits?

I don't know what is available to you in NZ.
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sounds like a plan.

Cheers.
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, local LFS has: GLO Power-Glo T8, super bright, 18000K, 50 lux or Aqua-Glo T8, fish colour enhancer, 18000K, 35 lux.

Online I can find: Sera Plant Colour 4900K, Sera Blue Sky Royal 1200K or Sera Brilliant Daylight 6000K. (http://www.worldofwater.CO2.nz/shop/AQUARIUM+PRODUCTS/Aquarium+Lighting.html). Philips Aquarelle or Aquasky but I can't find the details for these (http://www.aquariumlighting.petmart.CO2.nz/cart_categories-PHILIPS.html?Master_Category=).

There is another LFS a bit further away, they may have something different.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.25(Fri)1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your current light is a T5 so you need a T5 plant lamp.
(T5 refers to the tube diameter 5/8" of an inch)
The ones in the links are T8.
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.25(Fri)3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Embarassed I suppose I did say I don't know anything about lighting... I think I'll take the bulb right out and take it with me to the other LFS tomorrow and see what they have.

I think I need to do some reading and try and make sense of it all. Confused Thanks so much for your patience with a complete novice to plants and lighting.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: