Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Low-tech Lighting Fixtures
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Peterjay
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)10:23    Post subject: Low-tech Lighting Fixtures Reply with quote

Hi everybody - I'm currently planning the layout of a 90-gallon planted tank that I'm probably going to stock with angels/corydoras (if the water parameters are suitable once the tank is up and running), and one area where I'm completely confused is lighting. The more I read on the subject, the more bewildering it gets. I've got lumens/wpg/T5/HO, etc. coming out my ears. My question is this: can anybody recommend an affordable specific lighting setup that would allow me to grow stuff like vallisneria, water sprite, wysteria, Java ferns, Java moss, etc. without having to resort to CO2 injection? I'm not a purist when it comes to plants - I'd much rather have a small variety of easy/healthy plants than a bunch of stuff that's at death's door without a lot of care. The tank is 48 inches long and 24 inches deep, and the plan so far involves using either Flourite or Eco-complete to create planted areas with some driftwood and sandy spots for balance. I've been out of the aquarium loop for a while, and I'm finding the current lighting options difficult to decipher. Thanks in advance. PJ
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just learning about lighting myself but can offer a little information from my experience over the last five years.

I have been very happy with my Coralife fixture. I have the double bulbs and I've been able to grow all low light plants plus some medium light plants.

I've used fixtures with single bulbs but have not been as happy with them as the double bulbs. I am using single and double right now but would prefer to have all doubles.
Peterjay
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Cinder, I'm going to check it out. Low/medium light plants are probably what I want for my setup.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

A t12 strip lighting should do you... Dual maybe.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.26(Sat)3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would aim for a 2xT5HE fixture or 2xT8 fixture that is the length of the tank - this seems to suit low tech/low light set ups the best.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.28(Mon)15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:
I would aim for a 2xT5HE fixture or 2xT8 fixture that is the length of the tank - this seems to suit low tech/low light set ups the best.

Do you mean T5HO? maybe 1 one each side of the 90?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.28(Mon)17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, T5HE - stands for high efficiency. You'd probably know it as T5NO or T5LO, seems to be called this instead in aquarist circles though I'm not quite sure why.
Peterjay
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.01(Tue)7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate the help.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.01(Tue)8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I wish there were more NO producers out there, they are hard to find because everyone want HO until they start fighting back the algae.

If you can get your hands on a T5NO I would definatly go for it.
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.05(Sat)14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

One system of lights that I am researching, and will be building, is a system of super high output compact fluorescents. the specific ones I have in mind range from 65 w to 85 w to 105 w, and have a color temp of 6400k to 6700 k. the bulbs are pricey ~30-40, but are self ballasting and fit in most cfl fixtures *that have the right wattage rating* over all they are less expensive and from what I've read and seen they produce similar results
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: