Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
advice needed on CO2 in 120gal Cichlid tank
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
zaggnot
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.20(Sun)23:31    Post subject: advice needed on CO2 in 120gal Cichlid tank Reply with quote

I'm gathering info on starting up a 120gal. cichlid tank with Co2 and hoping anyone out there might be able to help me out. I've been running Co2 in one of my planted tanks for a while now and know that these are my current water peramiters with Co2:

pH 7.0
KH 9
GH 12

From what I read this is not great for cichlids, the pH should be up around 8-8.5. Without Co2 my pH is around 8. If I'm correct I need more buffering compacity (higher KH) so the pH will level out higher. I want to use sand in this tank (eg. Blasting sand) not a buffering substrate such as crushed coral because of looks. I will be using a 30gal. sump tank and was wondering if I cound put the crushed coral in here for better buffering. If I do will I be able to use enough material to make a differance or would it be nessesary to use it in the display tank? Any help would be greatly Appreciated!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.21(Mon)11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want CO2 for hard water cichlids - they are not compatible with soft plants Shocked

What cichlids are you planning?

What are you tap water parameters?
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.02.27(Sun)14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a pH around 8 should be just fine for the cichlids you are looking at getting. You will not need to add CO2 since it won't be planted right? Malawi cichlids will tear up most plants so elaborate rock formations and a mix of sand and gravel should be just fine for them. They'll be quite happy moving the gravel and the sand around so make sure your rock formations are stable enough that they won't fall during "renovations".
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.01(Tue)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my question would be ..what are planning on planting that would require co2 that the cichlids won't TRASH.

Honestly I would stick with Onion plants, anubias and ferns in a cichlid tank, and none of those require the extra co2..
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: