Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ATC
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.18(Fri)19:00    Post subject: Lighting Reply with quote

I have been reading a lot of the posts here referencing lighting and seems that I have become a little confused with regard to T5. Some have said that the WPG rule is out the window when it comes to using T5 lighting, if that is the case how many WPG should I be using for my configuration?

My plan thus far is lacking to say the least,

Substrate: Eco-complete (unsure of the depth), want to put a top layer of Silica sand (unsure of the depth as well)

Lighting: T5HO 2x life glo bulbs on the hagen T5 glo ballast 78W total

Tank: is 33 gal long

Plants: still undecided as to spieces, but as this will be my first real attempt at keeping them I will be starting with easy to care for ones, with lots of fast growing, stem plants and maybe some others...tips, advice?

CO2: DIY yeast reactor

Fish: (down the road of course) A small school of either Black neon tetra, or cardinal tetra ~15 or less with the addition of 4-5 otos, 2-3 SAE and 5 or so algae eating shrimp

input is greatly appreciated
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.18(Fri)19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct in that T5 lighting is much different than T12 lighting (of which the WPG guideline was based on). Due to the much higher efficiency of T5 bulbs (and especially the T5HO bulbs that you intend to use), you cannot use the WPG guideline.

Your proposed lighting will put you into the high light range.

You will need fertilizers (both macronutrients and micronutrients).

In addition, while DIY CO2 is a start, I would highly recommend pressurized CO2 instead. If you want to use DIY CO2, then I would strongly advise that you have several bottles staggered so that your CO2 levels remain as stable as possible.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.21(Mon)8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are really serious and you want to understand lighting here is a great read on what you're looking for. You want PAR not WPG.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73446
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: