Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sexing & breeding Orange Chromides (Etropulus Maculatus)
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Bukhari
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.18(Fri)11:36    Post subject: Sexing & breeding Orange Chromides (Etropulus Maculatus) Reply with quote

I currently have 2 orange chromides in a moderately planted 60 litre tank. I would like to try and breed them. Over the last few days their colours have developed to a shining gold and one has became very aggressive to the other fish I had (killed a tiger barb Sad ). I gave the other fish away in case the chromides were breeding.

Is there any way to differentiate a male from a female?

Any help would be appreciated. This is the first time I'm breeding egg layers Smile .
Bukhari
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.25(Fri)8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both of the fish are males.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.02.27(Sun)14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly if you want to keep them I'd upgrade their housing conditions. That species is fairly aggressive and they need lots of rock formations and space to hide and establish territories. To sex them the males will have spots on their anal fin and the females will not have those spots.
Bukhari
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.28(Mon)8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Huntress. Both of mine are females then. I plan to move them to a 200 litre tank next month.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.28(Mon)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

This species does not show egg spots on the ventral fin.

Wild caught males sometimes show a reddish fin edge but this often doesn't develop in tank bred fish.
Sexing is generally by comparison of fin area but this only applies if rearing conditions are identical or as with angels let them show themselves by spawning behaviour.

They are estuary dwellers and and well in thickets of vallis.
Vallis can stand light brackish which helps condition these fish.
Not aggressive by cichlid standards except when breeding (again on a par with angels)
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.02.28(Mon)10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many schools of thought to their aggressiveness. Some see them as quite submissive and others see them as complete horrors in the tank. I had two chromides years ago in a nice 55g and they were the terrors of all the Cichlids there. My daughter's friend's parents have the same issue with their sole Chromide. One of my friend's has a 120g cichlid tank and their chromides are fairly docile. I think it may have to do with the breeding of this species since the wild form isn't even orange. It's very pale colored with some black spots.

My apologies though on the sexing mistake. This is why I like using the scientific name. For some reason I was thinking of the orange zebra in the beginning.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.28(Mon)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same species as "Green Chromide"? The reason I ask is that a friend had a small group in a six foot tank. They were rather large (10- 12 inches) and the water had to be brackish for mating/spawning. That is about all I can remember except they were fairly aggressive - hence the large species-only tank.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.28(Mon)12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind. I just looked it up and they are two different species. Sorry.
Bukhari
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.01(Tue)10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so mine are a couple, probably. The aggressive chromide's fins are a little larger than the other one's. Still, both the fish are very colourful. They should probably breed in a week or so. My flora does contain vallisneria so I hope they're happy. I also add 1-2 teaspoons of salt.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: