Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Plant ID please?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.16(Wed)14:44    Post subject: Plant ID please? Reply with quote

Picked up this plant at the LFS yesterday. The lady said its an anubias, but didn't specify which kind, and she had it planted in the substrate, where it was doing actually quite well.

The closest thing I've found online for it is anubias barteri var. augustifolia. Thought I'd try for a more solid ID before planting it.

Thanks!
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.16(Wed)16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closest thing it looks like to me is Anubias afzelii, in which case planting it should be fine-

http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_afzelii.php

What do you think?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.16(Wed)16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be an A. 'afzelli', but my guess would be A. 'congensis'.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.16(Wed)16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a photo of it under water and tank lights? Out of water the darker leaves do look more like A. congensis.

Whatever it is you shouldn't have a problem with planting it I'd say, but if your concerned I would just attach it to some driftwood or something and see how it goes Laughing
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.16(Wed)17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha... so for any of the above mentioned, it should be OK planted! I'll give it a shot. She's had them in the shop planted in the substrate for almost a month, and several of them were putting out new leaves... so I'll give it a shot. The root structure to me looks like it prefers being in the ground, but I'm no expert. Wink I'll plant it and see how it goes! I'll put another picture up in a minute of it planted to see if that helps. Smile
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.17(Thu)6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flame Angel wrote:
Have you got a photo of it under water and tank lights? Out of water the darker leaves do look more like A. congensis.

Ah, I should probably clarify here. Typed the previous reply in a hurry.

Just to reiterate incase anyone isn't aware (I must sound like a broken trumpet on this point), the strain of Anubias commonly sold under 'afzelii' is definitely not the true 'afzelii' and is probably 'angustifolia'. When I said I think it's 'congensis rather than 'afzelii', I mean it's probably not what is commonly sold as 'afzelii'. The true 'afzelii' is actually sold as 'congensis' (and our gallery picture actually looks like the right plant now that I look at it). Even more confusingly, I think the same plant is more recognized as 'heterophylla' in the scientific community.

Confused yet? Laughing

I don't know if leaf color is a way of identifying these variants. There might be something about the color at the base of the stem or I could just be telling lies (memory fuzzy). Usually 'angustifolia' tends to be small, around 10-15 cm high with leaves that are fatter at the base; 'congensis' is tall, up to ~50 cm and the leaves seem to be more tapered with the fattest point around the middle or more towards the tip of the leaf.

As far as planting it, should be the same as any other Anubias. It seems like it's got a few little roots that like the substrate. The base of the rhizome also seems to have died back a little, perhaps thats the section that was buried.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.17(Thu)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh jeez... I think I'm going to worry less about the exact kind of anubias it is and concern myself more about making sure I'm taking care of it right. Wink Haha... all of that stuff sounds kind of confusing.

Anyways, here's some more pictures...

I realized that none of my other pictures really had a size reference. Its rather large. This is it from the side of a standard sized 75g tank. (22 inches high) I tried holding a ruler in front of it, but I can't hold a ruler and take a picture, so... yeah. Smile

This one is a bit closer of just the anubias... for color. And I do think its rather pretty plant. Any chance that leaf will repair itself, or should I chop it off?

And these two are of how I planted it. Does that look right? Do I need to pull it up some, push it down some... just tie to to some driftwood... move it to one of the tanks that has gravel...? Any thoughts are welcome. Wink
From the front:

From the side:

Thanks for the help! Smile
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.17(Thu)17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leaf on the right (of the picture) you mean? I'd probably just leave it for now, most 'congensis' end up having some sort of minor damage on the leaves from handling and transit.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: