Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Nitrate Levels in my freshwater tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ursa
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.22(Tue)11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
TBH I wouldn't worry about the nitrate not rising as the plants have some available as you still get a reading.

What is the bulb & how many of each fish?

How long has the tank been running?

Oops! Embarassed I forgot to add that I also have 12 (give or take) assassin snails! Started out with 4, but according to my research, they will self regulate. I've shared with hubby as he's got an infestation of pond snails. cleared 'em up quite nicely, lol!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.22(Tue)11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take out the carbon. It is not need routinely and will remove trace elements the plants need.
You have very high stocking & some number problems as you have too many shoals that are too few in number plus you have a sailfin pleco in a small tank.

What brand & type is the bulb?
17 watts is low and I would not expect the sort of growth to cope with all those fish. What media is in the filter?
Ursa
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.22(Tue)15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Take out the carbon. It is not need routinely and will remove trace elements the plants need.
You have very high stocking & some number problems as you have too many shoals that are too few in number plus you have a sailfin pleco in a small tank.

That's odd, because I was told that three would be enough. The Rainbow's and Dwarf rainbows are about the same size, as are the Congos (1.5"). My fantail is an albino and I was told it wouldn't get any longer than 2". The others are all less than 1" in size.

What brand & type is the bulb?
17 watts is low and I would not expect the sort of growth to cope with all those fish. What media is in the filter?

The Brand name is "Flora Sun" and it's a 24" light
the name of the media is "SUBSTRAT-pro" bio media. The filter System is an Eheim ECCO Model 2234 with two trays of bio filter, plus a fine white filter pad in the top section.

I just retested the tank and it's now sitting at 0.5 (the second from the top in my nitrate scale, which is pretty good. Haven't done any major water changes lately, and I probably will only do about a 10% tomorrow.

Sorry to be a pain in the fins - this is all new to me, and I thought I'd done all my research before I started. I've learned a lot in the last year - got some bad advice about putting fish in my tank with new water. Lost the lot. The store I deal with had some new sub-strat that was guaranteed safe to put fish in without having to 'cycle' the tank. It was a new product for them as well, and they had the same problems as I did, and have discontinued selling it. They have been very good with me (I'm classed as a "regular" Smile ) and it was a standing joke that I'd bring in a water sample, and they'd tell me what I could have. Made several trips into town and came home empty handed before I got my first fish - the tetras. So far everyone's healthy - I was just concerned about my Nitrate levels. Thank you so much for all your help and advice. Very Happy I am going to take the carbon out of the filter. It's a deep tank, and I'll send you the photo when I get it uploaded. Finally have one for you.[/I]
Ursa
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.23(Wed)14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Can you post a photo of the tank please?

I finally managed to get a photo of my tank. How do I go about posting it so that you can see what I'm working with? Confused
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.23(Wed)14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upload it to a hosting site like photobucket.com and use the img tag at the bottom to link the photo in a message here. Smile
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.23(Wed)15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC (Activated Carbon) has not been proven to remove or not remove traces. AC is only active for a limited amount of time (I give it a month) after that it is worthless. Now in saying that..I use Purigen (the bag) in my canister. It is rechargeable up to I think 3 times.

Now onto the stocking decisions. Most LFS (box stores) will insist anything can go into ANY tank. Being new, really you shouldn't anyways know that these stores are salesmen and will sell you anything for a sale. I did not catch the size of the tank. In order to assist what size is it?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.23(Wed)17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean that it is not proven trace elements can be removed by carbon? This is, as far as I know, a well proven fact and it is used for this purpose scientifically, admittedly not in aquarium settings. It does however, depend on the type of carbon you have & the pore size present which can be quite variable depending on source of carbon.

I'd also be thinking that it runs out a lot quicker than 1 month, to be honest I'd be pretty surprised if it went longer than a week.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:

a well proven fact and it is used for this purpose scientifically, admittedly not in aquarium settings. It does however, depend on the type of carbon you have & the pore size present which can be quite variable depending on source of carbon.

I'd also be thinking that it runs out a lot quicker than 1 month, to be honest I'd be pretty surprised if it went longer than a week.

I will quote a few others where this debate has occured.

Quote:
The answer is a definitive - maybe. Or - occasionally. Or - as needed. While the question seems simple, an answer depends on too many variables.

On the whole, carbon isn't needed in the filter of a healthy planted tank.

As to carbon striping fertilizer from the water, I've challenged people to provide something other than anecdotal tales, and gotten no citations of any research supporting the theory. I work in a university research library. I have access to subject librarians. The university happens to have a fish lab and we happen to have more fish related literature and journal access than most.

There is a lot of data on what carbon or charcoal will do to or for water in tanks. There is lots of data about what happens to carbon over time, in tank filters. The important take away from those studies is that carbon stops being useful after some period of time. A time period that varies depending on the type of carbon and what it is derived from.

If you want a personal take, I use an AmmoCarb mix in new tank setups if I'm going to put fish in before I'm sure the tank has fully cycled. For example, I have a fresh tank setup with filter squeezings from a mature filter and a used sponge in the AquaClear filter. I'll be moving mature air driven sponge filters in there as well.
Tomorrow, I'll be putting a couple of dozen CPDs in that tank. A bag of AmmoCarb in the filter basket and a few drops of Prime each day will help ensure the health of the fish. There will also be a piece of Poly Bio Marine Poly-Filter
Ursa
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Upload it to a hosting site like photobucket.com and use the img tag at the bottom to link the photo in a message here. Smile
[

Let's give this a shot: http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee492/Ursa3470/

Hope this works.
Ursa
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.24(Thu)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleJr wrote:
AC (Activated Carbon) has not been proven to remove or not remove traces. AC is only active for a limited amount of time (I give it a month) after that it is worthless. Now in saying that..I use Purigen (the bag) in my canister. It is rechargeable up to I think 3 times.

Now onto the stocking decisions. Most LFS (box stores) will insist anything can go into ANY tank. Being new, really you shouldn't anyways know that these stores are salesmen and will sell you anything for a sale. I did not catch the size of the tank. In order to assist what size is it?

It's is a very deep 36-gallon tank. I wouldn't consider "Big Al's" a box store. They have been very patient with me, since last August. We have a tacit understanding that every time I come in wanting fish, I have to bring in a water sample. Then they tell me what I'm allowed to have, and refuse to sell me stock if the levels aren't up to par. I have come home empty-handed several times Smile
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: