Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Nitrate Levels in my freshwater tank
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ursa
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.15(Tue)16:09    Post subject: Nitrate Levels in my freshwater tank Reply with quote

I seem to have difficulty raising my nitrate level past 1.0 . Have done several water changes - 25% three days ago, 50% a week ago, and another 50% this morning. Am using a product called "Stability" each time I change the water, and when I do the 50% changes, I use a product called "Prime" which is supposed to reactivate the bacteria levels in my tank. I have a large Eheim filter. I'm using live plants. All other levels, ammonia and Nitrite levels are at zero where they're supposed to be. I am not using CO2 as I was told it wasn't necessary. Does anyone have any suggestions? Confused
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.15(Tue)16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a photo of the tank please?
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.21(Mon)15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use SeaChem Nitrate.

This is the only way for me to keep my nitrates at or around 30ppm
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.21(Mon)15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture is to see how the tank is planted.

We have had "planted tanks" with problems before and the tanks were not growing as expected - sometimes the plants are genuinely taking up the nitrates but other times it can be a problem with the test kit or with a precursor.
Ursa
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.21(Mon)19:53    Post subject: My fish tank Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Can you post a photo of the tank please?

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I don't have one right now. The plants I have in it are: 1 small croptocoryne wendtii, 2 Limnophilia sessiliflora, 1 Anubias barteri, 2 Vallisneria americana, 1 eleocharis parvula and my favourite, 1 moss ball! The reason I don't have photos is that my computer crashed, and I lost most of my photos, and am in the process of trying to recapture my photos. I have a low-light bulb, denim blue gravel, and the tank is between two windows in the living room, where it doesn't get direct light. Does that help?
Ursa
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.21(Mon)19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
A picture is to see how the tank is planted.

We have had "planted tanks" with problems before and the tanks were not growing as expected - sometimes the plants are genuinely taking up the nitrates but other times it can be a problem with the test kit or with a precursor.

Most of my tall plants are at the rear, the anubias is in the centre, and the other small ones, the crypto, and the hair grass are in the middle. I'll do my best to get you a photo. I really appreciate the reply. It's nice to know that there's someone out there! Smile
Ursa
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.21(Mon)20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleJr wrote:
I use SeaChem Nitrate.

This is the only way for me to keep my nitrates at or around 30ppm

Thank you so much. I'll see if my favourite 'fish place' has it. I was told that if I had low-light plants I didn't need to worry about a CO2-2 bubbler. My test kit is the API Nitrate Test Kit, and it is showing the 0.5 (light orange) marker. Very Happy
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.22(Tue)2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I wouldn't worry about the nitrate not rising as the plants have some available as you still get a reading.

What is the bulb & how many of each fish?

How long has the tank been running?
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.22(Tue)9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on fish load...Nitrogen might be required.

if you have few fish and the plants are the focal point let me suggest a couple of planted fish that go great in planted tanks.

Ottos.
Indo Algae eaters (siamese are very hard to find SAE)
Nerlite snails or MTS
even a Bristle nose (albino long finned) are small and will increase Nitrates with all that poop.
Ursa
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.22(Tue)11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
TBH I wouldn't worry about the nitrate not rising as the plants have some available as you still get a reading.

What is the bulb & how many of each fish? - 17 watts
I have 3 dwarf rainbow, 3 rainbow, 3 Congo Tetras, 3 albino cats + 1 panda corydora, 1 sailfin plecostamus, 5 cherry barbs.

How long has the tank been running?
- Tank has been running since last August with a large Eheim filter. We changed the carbon layer in January, but didn't disturb any of the bacteria layers. Ammonia level = Zero as does the Nitrite level.

I am working on getting a photo of my tank for you.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: