Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Annoying news...
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.14(Mon)19:28    Post subject: Annoying news... Reply with quote

OK so I've just been in to have a chat with my local LFS as I wanted to add a group of Red Cherry Shrimp to my community tank. However that's never going to happen as you can't get any in New Zealand. Apparantly if I want shrimp I have to go and try to catch our only native shrimp (Paratya curvirostris) from a stream and then slowly acclimatize it to a tropical tank.

So I may be up late one night looking for some with a torch in our local stream...

Interestingly it exibits protandry where the sex is defined by age and maturity. They all start as males and transform into adult females.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.14(Mon)20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right, you guys have pretty strict import restrictions. There are restrictions here (Aus) too, but RCS and CRS have snuck through somehow.

Paratya are a pretty tough genus overall, sounds like it would work but (having no experience with this species myself) make sure the water is well oxygenated as low dissolved oxygen causing mortality is a common theme with cold water species.

There are at least a couple of freshwater shrimp here that exhibit the same sort of sexual development...both Australatya spp though.
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.15(Tue)1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might try and catch a few and give it a go in my quarantine tank and see how they go, but it'll have to wait until I've finished my current stocking. As I can't get the red cherry shrimps I wanted, I'm going to get a couple of Otos instead. They look like pretty useful and cute little guys.
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.22(Tue)10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zowie wrote:
I'm going to get a couple of Otos instead.

Otocinclus are extremely cute and useful. They are one of my favorite catfish as a genus, and I've had much experience with them, in three separate species.

If you are considering getting a few, then please read this thread first:

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=44645&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=oto+deborah&start=0

You'll find some useful information about caring for them. Do other searches, as well, because there is quite a bit written about Otos on Aquahobby.
HTH
Very Happy

Deborah
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.22(Tue)14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Deborah I'm at least a few weeks away from getting any as I currently have 6 Harlequin rasboras in my quarantine tank, and want to get them settled in before getting any otos.

I have started researching them and I did notice that they are very sensitive to water conditions so I will be waiting for my tank to be fully mature, as although I have had my tank for some time I had a major catastrophe whilst we were on holiday before Christmas and ended up completely stripping the tank down and basically starting again, so realistically it's only 2 months old.

Thank you also for the link, I certainly learnt something about how the algae grows and what to do and not do with it! Rest assured I will be doing some more research as I want them to be healthy and content in their new home.
Smile
Zowie
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: