Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
3ft Community Tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.03.28(Mon)5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I had my doubts when I saw it freshly set up, but I think it looks pretty darn good now. Very Happy Good job.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.03.28(Mon)9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to examples of Amano-style tanks. You can see his use of different grasses to not only add dimension but also movement.

http://amanotakashi.net/portfolio/nature_aquarium/index.html

I would put the actual pictures here, but sadly (after how many years?) I still am unsuccessful.
silent_rock_faery
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.31(Thu)5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, those are beautiful!!! I'll definitely keep those as inspiration.

Sadly (I have absolutely NO idea how) all the ambulia has melted. We have replaced it with Lace fern and it's looking pretty good. I actually like it a lot more than the ambulia.

We also got a twin T5 lighting unit too, so expecting a lot more growth soon.

This is what it looks like right now:

silent_rock_faery
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.04(Sat)3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's been quite a while since I last updated! The tank has grown so so much.

We have added a few fish also.

A friend of mine was going to kill all her fish as she was moving house and could no longer keep them, so I rescued from her 2 pictus cats, and 3 bristlenoses. Unfortunately we lost on of the pictus, as she was a fish-haver, and kept the tank in terrible condition.

Currently the stocking list is:
1 large angel
1 small/medium angel
2 bristlenoses
2 albino bristlenoses
4 peppered cories
4 leopard danios
8 serpae tetras
2 balloon mollies (and 2 fry)
1 pictus cat.

This is the pictus cat:

This is our new angel. When I bought her she was totally white, so pale. Now she's coming into her own!:

This is the larger angel. We are nearly certain he is male, anyone else have guesses?

This is the size difference. The smaller one seems to follow the larger, and we think she is female as she has a bloated belly. The don't attack each other either which is nice Smile

and finally this is a full tank shot after extensive pruning!
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.04(Sat)19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may just be the photo, but the Pictus doesn't look in good shape at all. It looks like it is covered in whitespot...I would isolate it straight away, but if that is white spot, it's more than likely its spread through the tank already. Also the Pictus will probably be stressed already after the move and being on its own. I'm guessing you didn't quarantine the new fish from your friends tank before you put them in?

From memory I think it is very difficult/impossible to determine the sex of angels unless they are breeding. I know some people claim they have ways of determining the sex, but many others say these don't work...I guess you will find out later, if they start mating (which will probably cause problems for the rest of the inhabitants).

On the bright side of things though, the tank is looking really good and yes things have definitely been growing well Smile
silent_rock_faery
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.05(Sun)3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually wondering if the pictus had white spot, but as it has been acting very normal I didn't worry too much.

Unfortunately we didn't have time to set up a quarantine tank, as my friend said "going to kill my fish today, if you want any come get them now." I feel like a complete moron of course, now.

I will make sure to get some white spot treatment.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.05(Sun)3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well fair enough, at least you gave some fish a chance to live!

Well that's good if the Pictus doesn't seem to be too stressed, but yes definitely get some treatment.
silent_rock_faery
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.07(Tue)8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, the other pictus cat died before we were able to get treatment (overnight when I posted)

no other fish are showing any signs of white spot, so I am hesitant to treat. What do you think?

Just have to add, this is Monster in all his glory!
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.07(Tue)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would still treat the tank for white spot. The chances of at least one cyst of the parasite not being in your tank at the moment are pretty slim, I would think. Often at this stage it can take a few days for them to divide into several hundred larvae, which will then need to find a host (your fish). If you don't treat, I wouldn't be surprised if you see the white spots appearing on your other fish by today or tomorrow. It will be a lot easier to treat it now before it spreads to all your fish. I'd rather be safe than sorry. What temperature is the aquarium at?

And nice BN Very Happy

Oh and do you remember if the other Pictus looked similar to the last one, before it died?
silent_rock_faery
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.08(Wed)1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was just looking at pictures of when we had both of them. Yup, pretty sure both had white spot. The great (not) thing is since asking my friend, she forgot to tell me her tank was infected when she gave me the fish! I am not pleased!

The tank is sitting at 26c
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to: