Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Discus rubbing against plants
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rami
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.13(Sun)23:04    Post subject: Discus rubbing against plants Reply with quote

Hello...

I have noticed that 1 out of my 5 discus fish has a symptom of rubbing its specifically left side (closer to eye and gill) against the hard leaves of anubias plant while momentarily swimming in a side position.
I did not see any signs of parasites on the fish's body and did not notice any other symptoms such as lack of activity or loss of appetite. At first I did not do anything but kept my regular water changes, high temperature (29 celcius) and a close eye on the fish, but I noticed that 2 more Discus started showing the same "rubbing the side against plant" and I still cannot see any other symptoms (they are very active, eating, laying eggs even!)
Does anybody know what that is? Could it be ich?!
I Read several articles about fish deseases and Discus specifically but all of them showed photos with very obvious skin problems which is not my case.
Is there any preventative treatment that I can do even if I cannot see obvious parasites?

Thank you Smile
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.14(Mon)9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have discus and I'm not fish expert, but I 'd guess the symptoms hint at gill problems. Maybe parasite at the gills. You can try dig in that direction. I hope your fish make it!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.14(Mon)14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several possibilities.

First run a full set of water tests as ammonia and nitrites can cause gill damage - itchy to the fish.

There are a few parasites that could cause flicking, Seachem paraguard is one of the safest meds but test the water first.
killifish999
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.21(Mon)19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice some of my fish occasionally doing this .

Gill flukes ?
rami
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.21(Mon)22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Thanks for the advice,

I did not get a chance to test the water properly as I performed a 25% water change as soon as I noticed them doing that, so whatever I tested later and was OK was not actually the exact water they were in when they were rubbing against plants.
After this water change it's been more than a week (another water change took place) now and I haven't noticed any of the fish doing that anymore. It seems that water parameters were not correct although I have not changed anything in my routine for a year now.

Useful contributions to keep in mind Smile
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: