Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
shocking problem.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.09(Wed)13:42    Post subject: shocking problem. Reply with quote

I have been doing a little bit of aquarium work today and every time I touch my water it shocks me. it is harder than a little shock like when you touch somebody. its more like when you get shocked by a light switch. I don't think my fish are reacting to it but are there any kind of tests I can do? In memphis today we have snow so the air is very dry. that may be a factor but I have never been shocked by my water before this. there are no cords in the tank or anything... Any clue as to what this can do to my fish or even me?
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.09(Wed)15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you mean there are no cords in the water, are you referring to the electrical cords?

What about other equipment (particularly a heater)? If they are damaged, they could be electrocuting you everytime you put your hands into the water!

I would try to remove all the equipment from the aquarium first.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.09(Wed)17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only other thing in the tank besides the fish and the plants and stuff is the filters.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.09(Wed)18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem doesn't happen often, but it is not a wildly uncommon occurrence with aquariums. I have had similar issues with a powerhead. I got a tingle in my arm(like my arm getting feeling back after being asleep) whenever I did water changes. In many instances, fish do not even notice electrical current in the tank because they have much different conductivity than we do. It may not bother your fish, but certainly is uncomfortable for you.
This issue sounds worse than mine was. For your safety, I would immediately replace the filter/pump that is causing this problem. The issue can get worse (mine did) and had to trash that powerhead. If you have multiple pumps, unplug and remove one from the water and test the water again to try to find the problem pump. It is a good idea to perhaps use another device (a skewer comes to mind) rather than your hand to test it out, since this is more than a tingle. Let the skewer soak up some water for a bit, then use the skewer to touch the water. If the electricity is strong enough, you will still feel the shock through the skewer, but it will be MUCH less intense.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.09(Wed)21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but could this stilll be the case with HOB filters?
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.09(Wed)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Oh Oh Oh. Wait, so are you just getting the single shock? and not any more? As in, you get shocked, but can stick your arm in the water and do your maintenance as usual without the tingle? If so, then it could just be the winter air, fleece jackets, carpeted floors, etc (everything that comes with winter), and a combination of having electrical equipment (lights, pumps) in contact with the tank/water. If you have consistent current going through the water (given you the tingles), then a pump/filter is sending constant electricity through the water and must be taken care of as I mentioned earlier.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.10(Thu)2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must just be winter time!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: