Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
long white thing coming in and out of albino oscar
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Msteaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)7:12    Post subject: long white thing coming in and out of albino oscar Reply with quote

55 Gallon Freshwater
Jack Dempsey
Albino Oscar
Stripped convict
Pink convict
Albino Sucker
2 Red Devil siclids (sp)

Red devil and oscar had ich
Been treating wth an organic ich killer and daily water changes.
Today wast day 7 of the meds
All fish are better but...

The last 24 hrs my oscar has been lethargic, doesn't want to eat anything and is now hiding in the live plants.

Just got back from getting my water tested
Nitrate 5.0
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 0
pH 7.3

SOOOO, I did a water change because of the ammonia
I was watching him last night and all of a sudden this white thing came out of him as if he were taking a dump. Then I noticed, it would go in and out of him but it WASNT a worm or alive as I watched it for about 30 40 minutes. It was about 9 or ten inches at one point and he was kinda floating around the tank and one of the red devils saw it and tried to eat it...he spit it out and then the other fish saw it and tried to eat it too but nobody wanted it. it would go in and out of my fish. I have attached a picture...WTH is that??? Its noooot alive. he is just hanging at the bottom of the tank not doing anything...saddd. because the other fish bit it its now only about 1/4 of an inch

Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't tell from the pictures. If you are treating for Ich, it could be a parasite that the Oscar had and is now being "pushed through", weakened or killed by the medicine. It could also be waste - the in and out part leads me to believe otherwise but when fish are under stress and have issues an early indicator is white poop. I don't think that it is any part of the fish as this is pretty rare.

If you could get a closer/larger picture it would be helpful. The only advice at this stage is a large water change. Is there any other odd behaviour besides what you have posted? The ammonia would be the direct cause of that and the other fish will begin to show signs soon.

This may sound gross, but if you can net a piece of the white thing and "inspect" it - describing it here, that would also help.
Msteaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

today is day 8 of the ich treatment.

I did the gross thing thank you very much...I don't know what it is...its either intestine or poop. it didn't fall apart like poop...ewwww...can't believe I did that...it doesn't fall apart like you would think. OK...did another partial waterc hange and got floaties out of the tank and found lots more of...lets call it white poop...
No I didn't think of taking a pic of it while it was in my hand...ewww

poor dude...
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid the Oscar isn't going to last much longer. I am very sorry about that. From what I can tell, the fish is very thin for an Oscar. If the white thing is opaque or semi-hollow looking, it is most likely a round worm type parasite that the fish has had for some time (9" is very long). It was killed with the ich medication and is now being excreted - probably blocking up the intestinal tract as well. Worms in Oscars are common with "less-than-stellar" breeders and wholesale fish distributors in the US. If the fish was purchased at a chain store, this scenario is likely.

The combination of ammonia, ich and the now dead parasite have left the fish very, very weak. I don't know what can be done at this point to save the fish besides changing the water often. Hopefully someone else here has an idea. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
Msteaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...that's exactly what it looked like....major bummer...

OK...so what abut the other fish? do you think they have it? I did treat with
Dr G's marine aquaculture Anti-Bacterial infections
All of the other fish ate, it but my Oscar didn't...<<sigh>>

Yeah...I got him at a pet store...BUT..its called allfish. That's all they have is fish there. They have insane fish tanks...HUGEEEE...salt and fresh...who knows though right...

Maybe someone knows something but thank you so very much for your help...man this sucks to just watch him.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...man this sucks to just watch him.

I know exactly what you mean.

The fish store really isn't to blame. Oscars are very popular fish and the store has to stay in business. They will buy the fish at the best price - which sometimes means from large distributors who cut a few corners to keep their prices down. Oscars are sold when they are every young and it can be difficult to see any potential problems.

Judging by the time your tank has been up and the size of the parasite, I would guess that the worm was introduced before you got the fish. If my memory serves me correctly, these worms are picked up as eggs and "hatch" and grow once they are in a host. I don't think the other fish will be effected. But, to be on the safe side, once the tank is healthy again you might want to dose with an anti-parasitic food for internal worms. I used Tetra's anti-parasitic flakes years ago. I would think that there are a whole bunch more on the market today. Hopefully someone with recent experience can recommend a specific product.

Edit: I know All Fish. My son went to college in Boca and I went in there to look around a while back. If it is the same place, you are quite correct - the place is enormous.
Msteaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there is a frozen food
Dr G's marine aquaculture Anti-Parasitic RX
it is the treatment for several forms of marine and freshwater parasites that harm or hurt fish. that's what the package says lol

I was feeding it to my fish for ick it also does broooklynella amyloodinium ocellatum or oodinium,Uronima marinum...wow nasty words lol

so maybe that is what killed the parasite. I know he won't eat more though. other fish will so I'm gong to give them some just in case...can't hurt right?
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
other fish will so I'm gong to give them some just in case...can't hurt right?

I'm a bit old school, but I would get the tank in good shape before any more meds. Once the ammonia is 0 and the fish seem to be acting normally then follow the directions for the meds. There is no better way than through water changes.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

As part of getting the tank in order please remove all the house plants you have in there before they rot and make the water conditions worse.
Msteaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.06(Sun)6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...my guy is still hanging on. he just lays on the bottom of the tank and every once in a while get up to go to the top of the tank and float sideways.

the red devils try to mess with him but the jack dempsey and the pink convict are protecting him. Its kinda cool.

He is a fighter.
Someone told me that garlic will trigger fish to eat...is that true? If so, what do I do? Maybe if he eats he will have the rest of the strength to pull through. Man this really sucks!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: