Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ick! it's Ich!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
LKH
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.04(Fri)23:10    Post subject: Ick! it's Ich! Reply with quote

OK, I got a bunch of new tetras about two weeks ago, and all seemed well. They were swimming along happily through yesterday. But a couple days ago, my power went out during the cold snap, and I'm guessing my tank got cooled down a few degrees before it came back. Anyway, today, half the tetras are dead, and the rest have white spots all over, which I'm guessing is ich.

I had a school of about 20 cardinal tetras, 5-6 cory cats, some red cherry shrimp and some amanos, and a few olive nerite snails. There might be a few otos lurking about but I haven't seen them in a long while (they vanished after I added the cherries, so I'm guessing they may compete for the same food stuffs and the otos lost).

So anyway, here's my question: My fish store did not advise raising the tank's temp over 82 degrees because of the otos. They suggested I use Ich Attack, which is supposedly safe for the inverts and plants.

What do you folks think? I've already started the treatment, plus I got a new heater for my tank and raised the temp to 82. I'm guessing the remaining tetras are goners - I looked in a little while ago and two more are stuck to the filter intake. Not dead yet, but I'm guessing they'll be gone by morning. The cories don't seem to have it yet. Not sure about the inverts - can they even get it? Any counsel?

G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the cold snap may have stressed the fish to let ich take hold I would bet on the tank having a nitrite spike too.
This is far more likely to kill tetras than ich.

I've never use ich attack as I am allergic to some herbal products and can't use anything that doesn't declare it's ingredients. Online reviews are not good.

Temperature to 80 and get the water right?
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've successfully used red ich+ to save some fish and I didn't loose my shrimp colony, but I would not recommend it. I don't trust any successfully ich treatment to not cause damage to shrimp. I think correcting my water quality is really what helped the fish, so I would not do this again. (It only my inexperience that caused me to dose red ich+ in the first place).

I would do as diademhill suggests. get your ammonia down and keep the temperature high so the ich lifecycle speeds up.
LKH
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I have one of those hang-on tank ammonia sensors, and it looks fine. Just to be sure it was accurate, I tried a strip test and it looked good too. The nitrite test was inconclusive, as my test kit for that was old, and unfortunately it decided to snow pretty hard today. After watching the mail truck spinning its tires to get up the street by my house, I opted to stay home.

Down to the last tetra, and I'm guessing he's a goner. So far the cories still look healthy (they're acting normal and I don't see any spots). The inverts seem quite happy, which may have to do with the fact that I had a school of 22 tetras, and only found 12 bodies. Needless to say I see little point in adding any food to the tank. Any recommendations for how long I should withhold storebought food?

Temp is 82 degrees, and I'll get a new test kit as soon as the roads clear. My water parameters have been extremely stable for many years. I have a lot of plants, so that seems to keep things in balance.

Any suggestions for how long to continue to treat? How long should I wait to restock? Any suggestions on good fish to replace the tetras? I like the color the cardinals add to the tank, but they're pretty hard to find, and my fish store tells me that it's tough to find a good source for healthy cardinals. I've heard neons are more hardy, but I don't like them as well. Any other fairly easy-to-get/keep, colorful schooling fish? I like rosy barbs, but I don't think they'd do well with the shrimp when they matured.

Thanks!

G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: