Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
30G new planted tank
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
paramsethi
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.04(Fri)19:50    Post subject: 30G new planted tank Reply with quote

hi everyone..
I am a newbie in fish keeping hobby. I have bough 30G tank around 3 weeks back..and currently its under fishless cycling.
I bought top fin gravel from my lfs..though it was very expensive for 30lbs..it has made my tank water cloudy since day 3 of setting up my tank..(I googled and other people have also reported similar problems with the gravel..) and in case its a bacteria boom..its well over more than 2 weeks old nw..
So I am planning to return the gravel and shift to ash grove play sand sold at home depot...
it will be great if anyone can share their experience with this sand?
I am planning to make it a low light planted set up with:
anubias
flame moss
anarchis
amazon plant
riccia

And for fishes I am planning to keep

4 angels
school of cardinal tetras
4 shrimps
school of rasboras
clown loach
2 snails

Is this a good idea to shift to sand for above fishes and plants? I will keep a top layer of pebbles..

thanks for all the suggestions
tracylloyd1
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)5:15    Post subject: Re: 30G new planted tank Reply with quote

paramsethi wrote:
hi everyone..
I am a newbie in fish keeping hobby. I have bough 30G tank around 3 weeks back..and currently its under fishless cycling.
I bought top fin gravel from my lfs..though it was very expensive for 30lbs..it has made my tank water cloudy since day 3 of setting up my tank..(I googled and other people have also reported similar problems with the gravel..) and in case its a bacteria boom..its well over more than 2 weeks old nw..
So I am planning to return the gravel and shift to ash grove play sand sold at home depot...
it will be great if anyone can share their experience with this sand?
I am planning to make it a low light planted set up with:
anubias
flame moss
anarchis
amazon plant
riccia

And for fishes I am planning to keep

4 angels
school of cardinal tetras
4 shrimps
school of rasboras
clown loach
2 snails

Is this a good idea to shift to sand for above fishes and plants? I will keep a top layer of pebbles..

thanks for all the suggestions

Hi there,
Glad you've chosen sand over gravel, as it is better for a lot of fish...

However, there are a few issues witht the fish you have chosen...

1.The Angels will most certainly eat the Shrimp (depending on species)
2. The Clown Loach will probably eat the snails (again, depending on species)
3. You can have Angels, but they can be very aggressive towards other fish...

Hop this helps, the plants are fine by the way. Very Happy
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used that gravel but if you are taking it out you could use play sand.
It needs a lot of rinsing before use.
Don't put pebbles all over as it will make cleaning difficult - you can use a few pebbles, scattered or as a drift, as decor.
I would get Java fern instead of an Amazon sword, (light requirements.) amd avoid riccia as it tends to break and block filters IME.

The fish - one angel would be OK - four would not.
Clown loaches are shoaling fish that grow to a foot long. (& eat snails)
I suggest five pentazona barbs instead - same colours and 2" long.
Only choose one shoal of other fish.

What are you using to feed the cycle?
paramsethi
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply guys..
I am using fish food for the cycling..
I will be going to lfs today for returning the gravel and get play sand from home depot.
Question #1: I read all over the places that sand may caught poisonus gases in its pocket which is harmful for the fishes and it shud be stirred ocassionally..but if I got for planted tank..(I am planning for carpet of microsword/hairgrass) it will be impossible to stir the sand...
what are the things I shud keep in mind maintaining my tank with the sand..

#2 I have excluded clown loach from my list..

#3 regarding angels eating shrimps..I was planning to plant my tank properly and wait until the plants have grown well that they provide shelter to all the shrimps and fish frys and then add juvenille angels to it..I guess it will be almost 6-7 months from now when finally I will add angels...till then I was planning to have school of cardinals and school of rasboras along with some good bottom feeders..

Any Suggestions..
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: