Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10G planted
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rc maniac101
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.04(Fri)19:01    Post subject: 10G planted Reply with quote

so I'm setting up a 10G planted and trying to do a theme of almost a forest(1/3) / Meadow (2/3) setup. I have a few questions though.

I'm going low light with aproximately 1.5WPG, and I'm wondering what would be a relatively good assortment of plants. I'm looking kind of low maintenance since this is my first planted tank even though I've been a fish keeper for close to 5 years now. would the plants acting as the "tree topper" be considered bright light since theyre clsoer to the surface?

Also, what do I have to do as far as nutrients and Co2 or stuff is concerned? I am in the dark as far as those products go. any help would be greatly appreciated. heres a general model of what I want the "forest" to look like, yet on a MUCH smaller scale lol

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=0&id=54

also, I have an aquaclear 50, aquaclear 20, and a tetra whisper (I think 10). what are your recomendations as far as filters go, id like to try and use what I have, but would an undergravel be better, whats your opinions. I'm open to all ideas thanks
[/url]
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not going to get the effect you're looking for in a low tech low maintenance setup. The plants chosen in these show tanks are some of the most demanding plants like HC. HC requires Co2 over light. Why don't you just for beginners start out with basic plants and learn and grow from that.
Also UGF are not recommended for planted tanks. Another tip, use pool filter sand or sterilized play sand.

Enjoy
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of those filters would be fine...agreed, forget about using an undergravel filter.

I actually think all of the plants (or very similar alternatives) in that particular set up could be grown in low light - be warned it will take you many months to get them to that sort of shape.

I think the problem for you is going to be getting the arrangement of rocks and woods (what we refer to as "hardscape") right. It will pay off if you spend a lot of time fiddling with rock, wood and substrate arrangement prior to filling the tank. I suggest you also spend some time looking up aquascaping tips and so forth...these are a completely different set of skills from gardening and are just as important for developing nice aquascapes.

See here for how Filipe makes his trees: link
rc maniac101
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.06(Sun)15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I've decided against that and am taking your advice about going simple. I found a website with a nice easy setup. My last 2 questions are regarding nutrients and substrate. I'm going to use play sand, but are there any other things I need to put down or is sand sufficient? also what liquid or other nutrients will I need to supply and will I need Co2 with this low maintenance setup? the website says no but I would like your inputs. thanks guys

http://www.tropica.com/layouts/beginner/starter-layout-(54l)/description.aspx

if you click "techniques" it will say no Co2 and stuff like that. what do you guys think
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.07(Mon)11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is ONLY a 10 gallon I would use fertile Substrate (eco-complete or Seachem florite) 1 bag or maybe 2 will do.

I love tropica... they have great information.

I would drop Echinodorus (sword) and replace with either water-sprite or Wisteria. Swords are heavy root feeders and generaly need more than 15w of T8.

Vals only need decent like (t8 should do) and Nitrates. Not sure if you're going to have fish in there but you might have to suppliment Nitrogen. Seachem makes nitrogen.
The other plants will do fine in this setup

As far as fertz go...you could use Seachem Flourish and 1/2 doses of excel until the Vals become us to it (excel adds carbon to the system)
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.07(Mon)20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a good 1-2" with one bag of seachem flourite (or flourite sand, which is my new favorite).

Also, depending on how low-tech you are, I'd recommend picking up a means of dosing K/Phosphate/trace elements separately. I had a lot of issues with dosing seachem flourish and algae due to the low uptake of my plants. Personally, I use Leaf Zone (potassium and trace) + Seachem Flourish Excell (for carbon).

Since you're still picking plants, I'd encourage you to pick up at least one or two plants, like water sprite, that can soak up excess nutrients quickly. At home I use Cabomba. If I'm not trimming it every week, I know my fertilization is off, and the algae starts to go crazy (even with weekly 20% water change).

Hope things go well for you. Planted tanks are certainly the most fun.
rc maniac101
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.13(Sun)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I got my plants in the mail friday. I put them in the substrate and I have an aquaclear 50 running on the tank, with the sponge element, and a bag of ammo-carb. the temp is just around 78, and I have a frozen shrimp in there as per today to start the cycling process. I also just picked up a bottle of nutrafin plant grow or something along those lines. the plants seem like they are browning. I don't know if I'm jsut being paraniod or if I need to do something else. any help would be appreciated as I'm nervous about doing anything on my own because I don't want to kill the plants. I added 2.5 ml of the nutrafin since I heard the beginning you should dose half as much. it says ion the bottle to dose once a week. does that sound about right as an amount?
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.14(Mon)10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is probably a die off period.

When planting what you want to do is Encourage new growth. You do this by trimming the roots some and CUT the plant back some.
rc maniac101
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.19(Sat)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

so everything is looking good in the tank as of now, but I just noticed about 10-15 (from what I can count) baby snails. idk which they are as I've never had snails, but should I be worried about anything? will they eat the plants? are they more beneficial or a neusence to my tank?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.20(Sun)1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually harmless. They will be limited by the food supply that is available to them. In this regard they are beneficial as they will scavenge any left overs in the tank.

Most experienced hobbyists hate snails though, bloody hard to get rid of and unsightly in an otherwise pristine tank. Most are capable of breeding ridiculously fast, so can "take over" within weeks.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: