Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hello, I'm new to this website. :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fish_Hobbiest
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)15:37    Post subject: Hello, I'm new to this website. :) Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am extremly new to the forum. I just joined today 1-31-11. I am looking forward to making a few good friends that have the same interest that I have with freshwater tanks. I also have a salt water tank, but that's more of my husband's job than mine, lol. I deal mostly with fresh water.

I have a beautiful 29 freshwater tank, but the only thing missing from it is plants, Sad It really stinks that I don't have any plants in it. Well I do have one plant, a bamboo plant in it, it's doing really well in it, but it's not doing what I was hoping it would do. I have to do a water change (10%) every week. Which I really don't like.

I started with a small 10 gallon tank years ago and I upgraded to a 50 gallon tank when I lived in Germany. I just wish I had a place to put it in this house, but with the 75 gallon salt water, there is no room. So I have to put up with the 29 gallon tank lol.

Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Fish_Hobbiest

P.S. If I'm online, your more than welcome to message me Smile
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! What have you got in the 29 gallon?

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome - glad you're here.
Fish_Hobbiest
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two kissing gourami; two black tretra; two black phantom tetra; an apple snail; a bamboo plant; a plecostomus; a pimeloduc pictus.

It's just nothing big or anything, but I enjoy it very much. It sits on the bar between the kitchen and the dining room. So we can enjoy it while we sit down and eat dinner and we can enjoy it while making dinner. Smile

I also have some fake plants in it (which I hate) a porcelin dragon (he was made just for the tank) a giant plastic Rock that the plecostomus and pimeloduc pictus stay in till lights out, lol. I also have some shells in there. They were old snail shells that I washed out really good and put in there. A sign that says "Beware of sharks" and a little "shark" next to the sign, lol. My son wanted frogs, but they kept either jumping out or getting up into the filter, so we bought a little procelin frog that has like 3 babies on it. I also have another cave like decor. It's a very colorful, but it throws the decor of the whole tank away, but I manage to make it work.

I will try to get a good picture of it later and post it for you guys to see. I think it's very "adorable". It's defiantly nothing like the pictures I have seen on here.

I used to have a 50 gallon freash water tank, I'll post that and you can see what I "used" to have. Smile (if I can figure out how to post it lol)
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, plants won't prevent having to do water changes and how long have you had the fish?
Fish_Hobbiest
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ms_wild_pony/5407858571/

I'm sorry this is the only way I know how to get anyone to see the picture. I was never very good at using the "Img" thing. I have never been able to figure it out. If anyone can't see it, (it's a free website so anyone can view it without signing up) let me know and I will figure out another way.

But this was the tank that I had when I lived in Germany. I have several fish inclusing exotic fish like elephant fish, sharks, and two giant angels that I was told would not get as big as they did and that they would never lay eggs. Well I have picture proof they did lay eggs and the fry did hatch. Unfourantly though, no matter what we did the "meat" eaters in the tank decided they were a good dinner lol. I loved this tank and I cried when I had to give all my fish away and tear it down because I was moving back to the states lol.
Fish_Hobbiest
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, plants won't prevent having to do water changes and how long have you had the fish?[/quote]

[color=indigo]The plants won't prevent the water changes, it just helps with the quality of water, lol. And I have had most of the fish (except the gorami's) for almost a year now. Smile
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plants won't help unless they are fast growing and 10% weekly is minimal for a tank with a few small fish.
You do know how big kissing gouramis get?
(Or is this a ploy to get a larger tank?Wink)

Angels, if you have a pair or even two females, will lay eggs regularly. They are easy to spawn but the fry are tricky to grow on well.

The bamboo should be removed as it is actually detrimental to water quality.
Fish_Hobbiest
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.05(Sat)0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know that plants help, and I do know this for a fact because I do have plans on buying fast growing plants. As far as the water changes, you don't have to do it weekly. I once had a 59 gallon tank that was wonderful. Made everyone around me jealous because they couldn't get anything to wrong. Even the so called "slow" growing plants, I had to trim them every other week or they would take over the tank.

Yes I do know how big those fish get. And trust me, I wish I could get a bigger tank but I have no place to put it Sad My husband already has taken up all the room in the house with his salt water tank lol. So I am stuck with the 29 gallon tank.

I am not to worried about the kissing fish, only because I know that if they start to get to big, I will have to get rid of them, and if I have to do that, hehehe, just means new fish. hehehe..

I finally did get some other plants into the tank, but right now I can't think of what they are called. But I have had them before and I love them. I also know that they are very fast growing plants.

As far as my tank goes, I finally figured out why it's so "cranky" at times. There is like no movement in the tank, other than the filter that flows into it. Once I get a little money (which I pray will be soon) I will be doing my tank a little different where there is a little flow in the tank to help move things around.

I check my nitrate today and it was only at 20ppm. So it's not so bad. I do plan on doing the 10% water changes each week and cleaning the filter in between until I can get my tank set up like I want. Smile

As far as the bamboo, I did not know that they were bad for a tank. Sad I will have to take it out then. But before I do that, I will do some research on it. I have never used bamboo in a tank before, so I wan't sure. So I thought I would try it out.

I promise, when it comes to raising fish in freshwater, I am no beginer, hehehe.

I love my tanks, fresh and salt water. Very Happy
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: