Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ick Life Stages in my Tank and tiny sticky bubbles
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is actually the other way round - at least 2 - 3 gallons per inch of fish at their adult sizes.

I'll let you do the maths.

What do the tests read?

(75")
Msteaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need to do math as my tank size is perfect for my fish at this time.
They are all small as its a new tank and new fish. A few of them will have a new home when construction to my office is completed

pH value 7.4
Nitrate 25
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Msteaz wrote:
I don't need to do math as my tank size is perfect for my fish at this time.
They are all small as its a new tank and new fish. A few of them will have a new home when construction to my office is completed

pH value 7.4
Nitrate 25

Sorry but it is far from perfect. I did put the answer in inches at the bottom of my last post to save you looking up the fish adult sizes.
An inch per gallon is often quoted as a guide to stocking for beginners but it only applies to small, slender fish in shallow tanks. Larger fish, even baby larger fish need much more volume.

What are the other readings?
How did you cycle the tank please?
Msteaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help to this point...I am going to go to another forum and post there. I would rather be encouraged than discouraged by people in a forum.

Happy fish watching... love it!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome to keep changing forums until you find someone who will agree with you. It is a common theme that people buy too many, too large fish for their tank and keep asking until they find someone who says I had an Oscar in a 10 gallon & it was fine.

A friend of mine rescued a five year old Oscar that had lived in a 12 gallon tank with daily water changes. He was too large to turn around in that tank when he was taken into the store she worked in.

He died a year later from liver failure which the vet attributed to poor early care.

You have been given good advice here by people who are not selling you stuff or making you spend money on a set up that won't work. Your choice but I am sorry your fish need to suffer.
Msteaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having another tank built right now to move fish...I guess you didn't read that part

My post was about the ISSUES OF ICK AND THE TINY BUBBLES in my tank...duhhhhhhhhh...not whether or not my tank was too big or too small.

Never stated the tank is perfect...my fish arent suffering from anything right now other than ick which is under control and ick is a very COMMON in fish tanks.

once again...id rather go to a forum where I am ENCOURAGED instead of discouraged...not looking for someone to agree with me in any way.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear you are having another tank built for their future home. How big of a tank? I'm guessing it'll need to be in the 200-300 gallon range for all of these fish to live happily in it.

One thing to remember is that Oscars grow very quickly. I read somewhere that they can reach up to 12" within the first year of their life. So, for the sake of your fish, I hope you have their new home coming soon, or he will be stunted and die prematurely.

I'm not sure about the growth rate of the other cichlids you have, but this is something to keep in mind. They are going to need a huge new home soon... I'd say, within the next couple of months. Three to four months, tops.

Msteaz wrote:
My post was about the ISSUES OF ICK AND THE TINY BUBBLES in my tank...duhhhhhhhhh...not whether or not my tank was too big or too small.

Never stated the tank is perfect...my fish arent suffering from anything right now other than ick which is under control and ick is a very COMMON in fish tanks.

Yes, ich is pretty common in tanks, and usually pretty easily fixed. However, what you're not thinking about is WHAT caused the fish's immune system to drop just enough for the ich to take hold. My guess is bad water quality, fishes not getting along, or overcrowding... these are usually the common reasons.

And, if the bubbles are planaria like diademhill mentioned, or anything similar, then it is probably from there being too much food available for the little creatures. You said you feed them twice a day. If you want the bubbles/creatures/whatever they are to go away, cut down to feeding the fish once per day or less. I personally only feed my fish every two or three days, and they are all still a bit on the fat side. Plus its less gunk to siphon up in water changes.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
once again...id rather go to a forum where I am ENCOURAGED instead of discouraged...not looking for someone to agree with me in any way.

You will not find a more honest and straightforward site as you do here at AoA. Please don't misinterpret honesty based on decades of experience for trying to discourage you. There is not one experienced fish keeper who would condone your tank - unless they were trying to sell you something. Very much like the "fish guys" who sold you difficult fish that experienced hobbyists call "Tank Busters". The reason they have this moniker is because, if they live long enough they will outgrow almost all standard tanks under 100 gallons. Not to mention the fact that you also have two of the most vicious species of cichlid and when they mature they will try to rip each other and every other fish in the tank to pieces over territory. Your Oscar will be a foot long. A male Red Devil (if they are still alive) will grow to 10" and the convicts and JD will be between 6" and 8". All of these fish are highly aggressive and when you put them in close quarters it only amplifies the behavior. I have personally kept all of these fish at one time or another (and bred them for sale as well) and I will conservatively state that you will need a 300 to 400 gallon tank minimum if you want these fish to live out their natural lives (ten to twenty years) together.

Quote:
Happy fish watching... love it!

Trust me, it has only been a month. You won't love it in the very near future. I can say this with complete conviction because, not only have I seen this situation unfold dozens of times over but I also made the same mistake you are making right now. People here will not steer you wrong. Nobody wants you to give up on the hobby. The truth is, when your fish start to die or tear each other apart you will truly become discouraged. And that will be a shame because you really seem intelligent and enthusiastic.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: