Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ick Life Stages in my Tank and tiny sticky bubbles
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Msteaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.29(Sat)11:07    Post subject: Ick Life Stages in my Tank and tiny sticky bubbles Reply with quote

55 Gallon Freshwater
Jack Dempsey
Albino Oscar
Stripped convict
Pink convict
Albino Sucker
2 Red Devil siclids (Floating on their sides so maybe not for too much longer)

99.9% sure my fish have ick as they have all the symptoms

Had this tank since christmas. All the plants I have are live. Gravel is about 3 - 5 inches

Typically tank is set to 76- 78. I didn't get the numerical values of tank water as when I went in last week they said all levels look normal but my pH is a little high but since I have African ciclids thats normal

Have yet to do a full water change but have done twenty % change

Plant food "Seachem"
Every other day Flourish Excel. Flourish & Iron
Tabs are in the gravel

Albino oscar
Jack Dempsy
stripped convict
pink convict
2 red devil ciclids (not too long cause they are COVERED in ick and semi floating but still have energy)

Feed these guys flakes 2 x day
worms every other day
Fridays Ghost shrimp

I didn't see the ick but I did notice the walls, plants and everything in my tank were COVERED in tiny little bubble like things...I thought it was some sort of algie and so did the fish guys. So I treated it with Tetra Algie control then found out it was ich just yesterday cause I woke up to the 2 red devils covered. I think my oscar has some but not like the red devils. Well since I have only live plants I was given Ich Attach (organic by Aquaherbal recomended by the retard fish people again so lets see what happens) Turned my heat up to 83ish and waiting for the lifecycle of these little "F" ers.

So what my real questions are 1) Will the organic ick kill the ick? 2)Are the little bubble like things I was told were algie part of the lifecycle of ick and I just got hit hard or? Any thoughts or ideas? Help? lol Hopefully my lil red devils are going to pull thru. They are the newest addition to the tank.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.29(Sat)12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was the tank cycled?

Your tank is grossly overstocked.

You don't have African cichlids, you have South American cichlids, and they prefer a lower pH.

Generally any ich medication you add to the tank should take care of the ich, IF you follow the directions to a T and do it for the recommended amount of time that the bottle states.

Are the bubbles just bubbles? I'm having problems imagining what you're trying to describe. Any chance at a picture?

Large scale daily water changes are needed, and when the ich clears up you need to decide which fish you want for the tank. They may be little now, but not all of your fish are suitable for a 55g tank anyway, so they're going to need either a larger tank or a new home.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.29(Sat)12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but your fish are not going to survive unless you take drastic measures.

Bubbles on the side of the tank are not ich.

Those fish are not compatible and can'r be kept in a planted tank as they will dig the plants up.
None of these cichlids are African Confused

For now do a 40 % - 50% water change adding only dechlorinator to the new water and make sure to match the temperature of the new water to the tank.

It sounds more like a water quality problem the ich which displays as white grains on the fish or sometimes as flicking by the fish.
Msteaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.30(Sun)8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I though they were african but my bf told me I was wrong and you guys are right they are south american.
As far as all the fish go they have been completely getting along with no issues. The Oscar is the tank top boss and the Jack Dempsy is the tank everything else boss. All the Oscar wants is food lol.
so far they havnt been messing with any of my plants...I made sure everything was cycled before put anything and the plants were established before I

They definately have ick...the red devils have white grains of sand all over them so I know that it is ick for sure. What are the bubbles. I tried to find my camera battery to take a pic but I can't find my charger. If I were to describe what they look lke... You know when a dandilion is all fluffy and when you blow on the all the little puffies go flying...? Well if you look closley they look like the little puffies. What are they??

Doing a 40% water change in just a little bit, took the carbon out of the filter, water temp is at 84, treating with the organic ick medication. Is there something better that won't kill my plants? Any thoughts? help lol
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.30(Sun)8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specks on the side of the tank sound like planaria which usually multiply when excess food is present.
They are harmless but a sign all is not well.

Your fish can not live in that small tank for long - they me be OK for now especially while they are not feeling well but the tank is minimum sized for one Oscar on it's own.
Not feeling 100% & being immature explains why you still have plants.

Get a piece of A4 paper. An odult oscar is that big with fins past the paper -as is an adult red devil.

How was the tank cycled as from Christmas doesn't give enough time to run a fishless cycle?
What was the ammonia peak & nitrite peak? What is the KH from your tap?
Msteaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.30(Sun)9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the water change and am taking the water in to have it tested in just a little bit.

I thought it might be planarias but I don't have any little worms in my tank at all. And I can sit and watch my tank for hours lol Seriously Smile

off to have my water tested and spend way too much money on crap there.

Will update in a bit.
Thanks so very much for the help Smile
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.30(Sun)9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of "spending money on crap" buy your own liquid test kits - a mini master set should give all you need.
Msteaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water Changed
My fish are doing very well and not floating any more.
The ick has fallen off and now just waiting of the cycle to complete to kill the little buggers

Bought home testers for my water.
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Thanks
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do still have the issue of an overstocked tank. Have you decided what to do about that?
Msteaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are fine for right now and I'm in the process of having a new tank built into my bedroom/office wall.
The largest fish is maybe 2 inches (my oscar)
After reading the statement of how grossly overcrowded my tank is, I did some research and talked to my fish guy (No not some kid from Pet-CO2)

2 to three inches per gallon of water. So...if I add the length of all my fish, I'm at about 11 inches pushing it so I'm am good with my 55 gallon tank right now Smile
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: