Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New planted tank tips please
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.26(Wed)19:39    Post subject: New planted tank tips please Reply with quote

Hi, In a few weeks I will be planting my tank and that will involve new lighting (t5) with an automatic co2 system that turns it and the light on and off in a normal cycle, more varied testing equipment, and of course plants.

my main concern is plant fertilization and making sure that my water parameters are in the "normal" range.

with ammonia, nitrites and nitrates at 0 (current), and pH slightly above 7 will I be able to grow plants? high-light ones with a type of grass plant in the front

any help will be appreciated.

I have seachem flourish as a liquid fertilizer and might upgrade my substrate from small pebbles to amazonia 2 pellet form
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.27(Thu)5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can grow plants, but if you have more than a single T5HO bulb you're gonna need to fertilize with something other than plain Seachem Flourish. This doesn't contain enough nitrogen, phosphate or potassium to sustain high light driven growth. Seachem make a range of separate fertilizers, or other options include ADA, Pfertz, RootMedic...haven't tried any of these so can't comment.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.27(Thu)6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to back up unissuh's comment that seachem flourish may not be the best. I ran into the issue that I could not dose a particular element, but all the primary ones. This lead to a buildup and algae for me, so I switched back to leafzone (potassium and trace elements) + excel (carbon). My tank is low tech, so I don't need much else.

For your setup, I think nutrients will be used quickly, but in that situation I would still want to have some control over the individual nutrients to prevent an imbalance.

I've seen pfertz used a lot as an alternative to seachem, but I have no personal experience. Rootmedic tabs are great if you're using plants that will be able to pull nutrients from the substrate.
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.27(Thu)10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, thanks fr the feedback. I'll forsure look into the multiple fertzs for a full range
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry Ferts would be a good option.

I have used this guy several times, you won't be disappointed in his products.

http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_41
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the drift wood selection, I don't quite know how I'll decorate the tank yet. but with hardy plants that my silver dollars would ideally not be interested in. theyll have their own garden to eat in a corner
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: