Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!
 
ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I don't know which fish would be suitable! Help!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Author Message
tracylloyd1
Members


Joined: 24 Jan 2011

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)12:48    Post subject: I don't know which fish would be suitable! Help! Reply with quote

Hi there...

I have a 25.1 gallon tank (95 litre) and I have:

1 x Golden Algae Eater
1 x Amano Shrimp
2 x Pepper Cory
1 x Guppy
1 x Penguin Tetra
1 x Siamese Flying Fox
2 x Dwarf Pleco
2 x Baby Dwarf Pleco...

But I would like to add:

6 x Neon Tetra
2 x Amano Shrimp
5 x Red Cherry Shrimp
1 x Kuhli Loach
3 x Pepper Cory (as they are a schoaling Fish)
AND.. 2 x Minnows

I am not sure if this is OK and anybody that can shed any light on the subject will be a Fish saver (literallly)...

Thanks Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already have a poor mix of fish.
Golden algae eaters grow to 10" and as they mature they stop eating algae and start rasping the slime coats off other fish.
Pepper corys are shoaling as you know - so are penguin tetras,

What species are the dwarf plecos?
Unless they are otocinclus or paraotocinclus they tank is too small for more than one.

The Siamese flying fox may get aggressive as it grows depending which species it is.

All minnows are shoalers so 2 is not a good number.
Khuli loaches are shoalers.

If you confirm what you already have & your water parameters we can help advise.

What shape is the tank?

How long has it been set up?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tracylloyd1
Members


Joined: 24 Jan 2011

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
You already have a poor mix of fish.
Golden algae eaters grow to 10" and as they mature they stop eating algae and start rasping the slime coats off other fish.
Pepper corys are shoaling as you know - so are penguin tetras,

What species are the dwarf plecos?
Unless they are otocinclus or paraotocinclus they tank is too small for more than one.

The Siamese flying fox may get aggressive as it grows depending which species it is.

All minnows are shoalers so 2 is not a good number.
Khuli loaches are shoalers.


If you confirm what you already have & your water parameters we can help advise.

What shape is the tank?

How long has it been set up?


My tank has been set up for 2/3 years.

The Pleco's are bristlenose...

I already have:

1 x Golden Algae Eater
2 x Bristlenose
1 x Siameses Flying Fox (not sure what species)
1 x Penguin Tetra
1 x Amano Shrimp
1 x Guppy
2 x Baby Bristlenose
2 x Pepper Cory........... at the moment...

Not sure what water parameters are?

I am in a bit of a muddle, and would appreciate any help you could give..

Thanks Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the tank's dimensions? Is it 24" or 30" long?


The CAE -golden algae eater - should not be in there.

The bristlenose pair take up about half the tank's stocking capacity, which doesn't leave a lot over.

The Flying fox is probably one of these species . Knowing which would help.

What test kits do you have?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tracylloyd1
Members


Joined: 24 Jan 2011

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
What are the tank's dimensions? Is it 24" or 30" long?


The CAE -golden algae eater - should not be in there.

The bristlenose pair take up about half the tank's stocking capacity, which doesn't leave a lot over.

The Flying fox is probably one of these species . Knowing which would help.

What test kits do you have?


The tank dimensions are: 31.5 inches long, 11.5 inches wide and 15.5 inches tall...

I think the Flying Fox is the first one on the list as it looks like it and the description is more like it...

Shall I take the Bristlenoses out in order to put more in, and I'll definitely take the CAE out a.s.a.p, but don't know what to do with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the Flying Fox is the first one on the list as it looks like it and the description is more like it...

Does it have a black line through it's tail?
Does it have a gold line above the black stripe?


How long have you had the bristlenoses?
What substrate do you have.
How are you cleaning the filters?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tracylloyd1
Members


Joined: 24 Jan 2011

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Quote:
I think the Flying Fox is the first one on the list as it looks like it and the description is more like it...

Does it have a black line through it's tail?
Does it have a gold line above the black stripe?


How long have you had the bristlenoses?
What substrate do you have.
How are you cleaning the filters?


My Flying Fox has a gold stripe above the black one, but does not have a black line going all the way through the tail...

I've had the Bristlenses for atleast 10 months now...

I recently changed the substrate from gravel to sand, as I read it's better for the cory's barbels.

I clean the filter about once every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks and I it out and clean the whole of it...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you cleaning the filter & what make is it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tracylloyd1
Members


Joined: 24 Jan 2011

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
How are you cleaning the filter & what make is it?


I just take the filter apart and rinse it with water and scrub the outside with a sponge.

The make is an Elite - Jet Flo 100
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use water from the tank?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:  
  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2008 phpBB Group

oF <=> oC in <=> cm G <=> L