Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Firemouth & Convict cichlid in 35 gallon tank help!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
karate626
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.21(Fri)21:05    Post subject: Firemouth & Convict cichlid in 35 gallon tank help! Reply with quote

I recently moved my painted turtles from this 35 to a 55. I then put a 3ish maybe 3 1/2 inch male convict cichlid in. He was the weaker male in another tank with 2 male convicts. I also put a 1/2 maybe 3/4 inch firemouth cichlid in the tank. Both were placed in the tank at the time. The tank is heavily planted (real and fake), many large rocks across the bottom, and a tall piece of fake driftwood from the lft in the middle that is a major sight block. Anyway, I'm hoping my firemouth will catchup in size with the convict. Right now the convict chased the firemouth to the top corner behind the filter. I'm hoping they may become a pair (won't sell fry, probably end up as feeder fish) but I'm afraid the firemouth will die before having a chance to grow up. I have a few questions. Will lowering the temp from 76 to something like 70 lower the aggression? Will the firemouth die from this treatment? How long does it usually take a firemouth to grow to 3 inches if it is already 1/2 an inch? Any ideas on how to make the odds of them forming a pair greater?

Thank you! Sorry for so many questions!
karate626
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.21(Fri)22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long will it take the firemouth that is 1/2 an inch to grow to 4 or 5 inches? 4 or 6 months?

I found some black mesh to make a divider until the firemouth grows larger! I took out the convict and put him in with the dominate male again. This is just for overnight so they should be fine. I'm not sure how to attach the mesh to the sides of the tank. Any ideas. This is temporary so I don't want to use something to stick it if I can't get it off later.

Thank you!
karate626
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.22(Sat)11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaving the firemouth in this tank by itself. I may add a few black skirt tetras as they are not that small, hardy, and a little nippy to they can stand for themselves. Could I add a bristlenose pleco or would a few snails be better to clean the gravel and keep help with the algae?
karate626
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.22(Sat)12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took the 2 platys out of the 15 gallon and the 2 black skirt tetras out of the 20 gallon. They are all in the 35 gallon with the 1/2 inch firemouth.

Here is the current stocking:

15 gallon:

6 neons
3 cherry barbs (1 male 2 female) all over 3 years old
2 ottos (2 died Sad )

Long 20 Gallon:

6 black neons
2 gold barbs
1 bristle nose pleco

35 gallon:

1 half inch firemouth
2 platys
2 black skirt tetra

How does all this sound? Now the tanks all seem a little empty which I know know is good!
karate626
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.22(Sat)13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the current stocking:

15 gallon:

6 neons
6 cherry barbs (2 male 4 female) (I only have 3 right now but will get 3 more soon)
2 ottos (Used to be 4 but 2 died. I'm not replacing them)

Long 20 Gallon:

6 black neons
5 Platys (only have 2 right now but will get 3 more soon)
1 bristle nose pleco

35 gallon:

1 half inch firemouth
6 Gold Barbs (Only have 2 right now. Will get 4 more soon)
6 black skirt tetra (Only have 2 right now. Will get 4 more soon)
6 rosy minnows (not in yet. Will get them soon)
1 Bristle nose pleco

How does all this sound? Now the tanks all seem a little empty which I know know is good! I can switch the 6 rosy minnows with the cherry barbs if either one needs a 35 gallon more than the other.
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.22(Sat)18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has no one else replied yet or si it just me?

The 15 gallon looks fine to me

The 20 gallon id check to see what the adult size of the pleco is and readjust as necessary

And Id check the size of the firemouth too, thats my two cents even though I stopped keeping fish for now hehe Laughing funny how I still linger here
karate626
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.22(Sat)19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting for a response! The barbs all seem to be great! They look amazing in schools.The bristlenose pleco only gets up to 6 inches. The firemouth can get up to 6 inches but most top out at 5. I'm so glad my tanks are not overstocked!
karate626
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.22(Sat)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like rosy minnows but they are only sold as feeder fish at my lft and I don't have a tank to quarantine them. I may switch them with glowlight tetras. I would put them in the 15 gallon with the neons and move the 6 cherry barbs into the 35 gallon.
BigShrimp
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.23(Sun)9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st , why you want to cross breed a firemouth and convict is beyond me .

2nd , you will find that firemouths are slow growing and will take a lot longer to reach 4-5" than 4 to 6 months .
karate626
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.23(Sun)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have learned a lot since posting my message. My tanks are now all changed. What do you think about them?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: