Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
"Nuking" tank to kill snails
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.20(Thu)6:41    Post subject: "Nuking" tank to kill snails Reply with quote

Something that has occurred to me recently - has anyone ever tried "nuking" a tank to kill snails? Obviously after removing fish, shrimp and other desirable inhabitants first to a holding tank until it is safe to return them.

I can think of two or 3 "nukes" of choice: CO2 overdose, magnesium overdose or clove oil overdose. All 3 should kill snails at an appropriate concentration and are harmless to plants, the biological filter and decor in the tank.

Assassin snails seem to be the favoured option, but aren't available here and probably never will be.

Does anyone see any major flaws with this idea?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.20(Thu)10:04    Post subject: Re: "Nuking" tank to kill snails Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:

Does anyone see any major flaws with this idea?

Ammonia spike from decaying snails?

Easier to strip down & use bleach on the bare tank.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.20(Thu)13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but that don't get rid of the snails on the plants. I have set up a 10 gal that I put the plants in, no light and add a full bottle of rid a snail to it and let sit a couple of days. Also did the same in a second tank same variables but added alum to the tank. After 8 hours the snails were dead in the alum tank. 24 hours of rid a snail tank still a few surviving.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.20(Thu)14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a potassium permanganate dip for plants.

Kills snail and snail eggs.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.20(Thu)15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about stripping down the tank being easier. I'm thinking more about heavily planted or decorated tanks, it's so much work to strip down and redo. Never looks the same afterwards though, and all the root systems are pretty much destroyed. Doesn't guarantee snails hitching in the substrate too, even if you treat the plants. Can't think of anything good to treat the substrate with except the oven.

Quick vac should get rid of most of the dying snails, ammonia spike would be a problem if they all die at once.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.20(Thu)17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
I always use a potassium permanganate dip for plants.

Kills snail and snail eggs.

I've tried that and it didn't do squat. My 220 only has 1 nerite snail in it as its the only one the clown loaches hasn't bothered. My 29 I set up last month sat empty for 6 months, Did the bleach cleaning then rinsed and rinsed with straight hot water, added new sand, Got 4 new plants, did the potassium permanganate dip, Now has a bunch of snails. So I don't know what to do to get rid of them anymore. Tank is to small for my loaches.
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.01.21(Fri)10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Assassin snails seem to be the favoured option, but aren't available here and probably never will be.

Then you will end up like me with 1000 assasin snails all over the place, NOTE these can eat normal fish food too. I will never ever put any assasins in my tank + you can't have Chliton snails with them and each Neirtes which fall on their back will fall victim in very short time.

I would try by removing all the fish and adding a few Dwarf Puffers to rid the tank of snails.
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.21(Fri)18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my snail out brakes have been done easily with no harm to anything in the tank.It will take up to week or more depending on how many you have.No chemicals.Use what they like best,'food',and trap them.Use an old 16oz soda bottle.Poke holes big enough for you snails only to get through.Place any food in the bottle and rocks to wait.Tighten cap and place into tank and wait.Take the bottle out when you have a lot captured and simply wash them out.Restock with food and repeat.For big tanks use a 1 liter bottle.Very simple with a little work.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.21(Fri)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traps never remove all the snails, very effective at reducing the population sure, but give 'em a couple of months and they're back.

Unfortunately dwarf puffers are also unavailable here Dusko. I could try using a Macrobrachium sp - M. australiense and M. bullatum are meant to be voracious snail hunters. Problem is where to put them after I'm done as they also attack fish and shrimp given half a chance.
ant1
Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.09(Wed)16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the gently gently aproach and did'nt realise the crafty beggars laid eggs in every corner of the tank.I had to totally disrupt everything and even resorted to bleach.the fish were safely housed else where but the dreaded outbreak has gone and my fish are without substrate but well looked after with regular water changes and proper filtration.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: