Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
collecting rainwater
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.18(Tue)10:43    Post subject: collecting rainwater Reply with quote

If I build a rainwater collector, is there a way I can determine if it's safe for fish without testing on a fish? I'm in the Pittsburgh area and I'm not sure what the pollution levels are anymore.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.18(Tue)17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only alternative I can think of is to try it on a lower order creature e.g. if you have a shrimp colony going they are better indicators of water quality than fish. Unfortunately I can't think of anything else to test pollution. The other option, although more expensive, is to put the water through some chemical filtration (e.g. carbon) before use.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.19(Wed)18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would mystery snails work? I seem to have more of them then I wanted (read: 0). It somehow seems less cruel, but perhaps just because I don't like snails.

I do have a shrimp colony, so I could spare one... but I'd rather use a snail if I have to.

Can I learn anything from pH (without harming anything deliberately)? I.e. if it's very acidic is it more likely to be polluted?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.21(Fri)6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mm, not sure to be honest - mystery snails are pretty tough critters. To be honest even shrimp are not a perfect measure, I had a problem with tap water recently and no RCS were affected at all, just the fish. It's a starting point.

I don't think you'll be able to conclude anything from a pH test. I am of the opinion that this is possibly the most useless test kit commonly available as any result can be interpreted multiple ways...
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: