Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help! I have a ten gallon tank with a Flying Fox!
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
cr.fish
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.17(Mon)14:56    Post subject: Help! I have a ten gallon tank with a Flying Fox! Reply with quote

My tank used to have Black Shirted Tetras (one of my favorite), two Pristella Tetras and this unknown fish that I just found out is a Flying Fox. We bought it as it was the last fish at PetCetera when it was closing down and our son wanted to save it from an uncertain future, the employees didn't even know the fish was in the tank!

Now I have only one Pristella and the Flying Fox. I bought the Flying Fox when it was tiny, smaller than the Pristella, now it's already 6 cm or so. It likes to pick on my Pristella by pocking at it. The Flying Fox used to be picked on by my mammoth Black Shirted Tetra, it was at least 3cm by 3-4cm big, but it died Crying or Very sad I'm having trouble with my tank.

I have a new 10 gallon as my other sprung a leak over the weekend. I put stress coat in the water and it has a good filter system.

I just found out that I have a Flying Fox that is not meant for such a small tank, also I know that the Pristella is a schooling fish, but we had some loss of fish unsure why. I try to keep the tank at proper pH and that didn't work, I've tried leaving it alone that didn't work either. I'm fairly new at this. I'm not trying to abuse my fish. Black Shirted Tetras seemed to work the best for me so far.

What do people suggest I do with my tank? A larger tank is out of the question. My husband loves Red Tailed Sharks, but again should not be in such a small tank.

Suggestions? The pet shops seem to steer us wrong, no one is in agreement on what fish work etc. I guess do to lack of knowledge/training. Help, I want to keep my fish alive!

I'm very discouraged. Thanks for any help. Wink
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.17(Mon)15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you changed the tank you should have kept the old filter or at least the filter media. New filter media doesn't have the bacteria that break down the fish's wastes.

Please look up the aquarium nitrogen cycle in the articles <<<.

You may need to do daily 40% water changes just adding dechlorinator to the new water. as it is only a couple of bucket you are adding it can be at room temperature but not straight from the tap.
Just one flying fox can survive in a 10g. Not ideal but doable if you do lots of water changes. A 20g high is only 4" longer though and that would be much better.

Forget the pH - the chemical are only to make money for the store and don't help the fish.
cr.fish
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.17(Mon)15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I kept my old filter with some of it cleaned some not. I kept almost half of the old water to help the fish adjust easier.
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: