Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sore on neon dwarf rainbowfish
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update; he's still acting pretty fine, but the sore was looking worse and worse. It was protruding from him a bit, and... looked kind of gross. I should have taken a picture of it yesterday when I thought to.

Last night before bed, I noticed one of the guppies was hanging out next to him and pecking at the sore. The rainbow didn't seem to mind, really, but of course he swam away when I tried to get a closer look.

This morning, there is just a large flat spot where the sore was yesterday. It seems as though the guppies ate it, and there is currently a couple of them just following him around the tank, though they aren't pecking at him anymore.

His colors seem a bit darker and not as vibrant as before, too.

I'm wondering if I should euthanize him and return the female to the store, or if I should give him more time and continue monitoring his diet. What do you think?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I'd keep an eye on those guppies. Eating possible infections is a huge risk.

As far as euthanizing, thats up to you. If you feel unsafe about keeping it in the main tank, then it's best to put down the fish. I don't think your 5g tank is suitable for keeping it for any length of time. The only other alternative (assuming it is an infection) besides waiting or euthanasia is to try a heavy antibiotic course (probably need something that is vet prescribed and preferably mixed in with food - e.g. neomycin, kanamycin or a similar heavy duty one) but be warned this may play havoc with your biofilter among other things & should really be done in a hospital tank.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.31(Mon)18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did just pick up a 20g last week, but as I'd like to use it for other fish, I don't really want to possibly disease it.

I think I'll probably euthanize him, then... which always makes me a little sad, but I'm feeling that it's the best option at this point.

There's tons of guppies in the tank, and its impossible to say which ones were eating it. I'll keep an eye on all of them, and if any of them develop sores, I'll cull them, I suppose. Its probably definitely not a good idea to be feeding them to the angelfish until I feel more sure that whatever this is isn't going to pop up again, huh?

Would you return the female to the store, or cull her? Her colors are still as good as ever, and she's looking and swimming like she always does.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, feeding those to the angel is, in my opinion, a very bad idea. I'd be keeping an eye out on those for at least 3-4 months before feeling safer about it though it's quite possible (if a Myco infection) that it will lie latent for much longer than that.

As for the female, thats a harder question to answer. There is every chance she is not sick but there is no way of knowing for sure (without a full necropsy). I think that it is somewhat unethical to return a fish that is potentially sick back into circulation. There is also an ethical concern with keeping her with no company.

Personally, I would not be returning any of the fish in your tank back into circulation - at least not for the next 6 months (e.g. act like it is a quarantine) if no treatment is performed. After that I would feel somewhat more ready to add or remove fish if nothing occurs.

As for whether you keep the female alone it depends whether you are planning on keeping this species (or other rainbow species) in future:

If you are planning on keeping a rainbow shoal in future then I would personally just keep the female. It is a shoaling species but (in my opinion) rainbows are less of a shoaler than, for example, rasboras or tetras and tend to hang around more in a loose group at most. If it was a tetra or rasbora I would be putting it down, but with rainbows I think the chances of it being an unnecessary cull balance out pretty evenly with lack of companionship if that makes any sense.

If you are not planning on keeping any rainbows in future, then I would probably cull the female.

I hope that helped somewhat. Ethical approachs to problems often come in many shades of gray. Just to re-emphasize, the above is probably what I would do, I certainly won't say it's the best or only ethical approach to the problem.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

He died last night. I was going to euthanize today if he didn't die in the night. There was a giant hole in his side, right down to the bone, where the tumor/sore was, but beyond that, nobody had messed with his deceased self.

I am still interested in keeping a rainbowfish shoal in this tank, yes. I have other stocking issues to sort out in the tank (overload of guppies, mostly), but I bought the rainbows with the intention of getting more if/when I could find some at the store.

So for now my plan of action is to keep her singly, unless she develops and signs of a sore, at which point I'll cull her. I'll give the tank six months or so before adding or subtracting fish, and by that time I should have a solid plan of what I want from the tank.

I've been keeping the guppy population down by feeding fry to the rainbows, but since that's not the safest option anymore... what are other ways to keep the population in check? Is clove oil the least... violent option?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

rales12 wrote:
Is clove oil the least... violent option?

Either that or a container of icy water/freezer.

Have you ever thought about removing the female guppies? Seems like the easiest way to deal with it long term.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been feeding only females to the angels, but I hadn't really considered knocking out a big chunk of 'em, especially the bigger ones.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: