Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sore on neon dwarf rainbowfish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)17:21    Post subject: Sore on neon dwarf rainbowfish Reply with quote

I noticed this sore on my rainbowfish the other day. It's gotten a tiny bit bigger in the past couple of days. I haven't started treating with anything yet.

Tank information:
46gal. tank
Emperor 280 HOB filter
Fake plants, gravel
I use API Water Conditioner (not Stress Coat, though)

Water parameters:
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
20 nitrates

Weekly 10 gallon water changes with 50% of gravel vacuumed

Inhabitants:
8 cardinal tetras
2 neon dwarf rainbowfish
2 three spot gourami (I thought they were both girls at the store, I no longer believe so, and I am considering returning both of them, but one of them for sure... probably tomorrow)
1 synodontis hybrid catfish... currently about 4" long
Lots of guppies, most of them less than 1/2" long... been feeding them to the angelfish in the other tank
1 bristlenose pleco

I haven't done anything in the tank except fish out baby guppies in almost three months. No new fish, no mysterious recent deaths (lost a big guppy last week, but she was very very large and I suspect it was old age.)

Everybody else in the tank looks healthy as can be, and everybody is acting as per normal, including the rainbowfish. He's even doing displays for the female. There are definitely no sores on any of the other fish.

I tried to take some pictures of it, these are the best two I could get, out of probably thirty or so. He's as active as ever and very hard to capture on my point-and-click camera. The spot does protrude from the fish ever-so-slightly, but I can't tell if it looks like fungus or anything. I've seen no flashing from him or anybody else.

I want to add more rainbows to the tank (after I get rid of the guppies) and I've been watching the LFSs in town so I can pick up four or so more when they get some in, but no luck yet. There were only two at the store when I picked these two up, which is why I only have a pair.

I have an empty six gallon tank I can put this guy in (or both rainbows in), if needed, or I can treat the entire 46. Which is the better option?

I have Melafix on hand is all. Is that OK or should I hit the LFS tomorrow and try to find something else?

Thanks for any help you can give!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a tumour so melafix won't help.

Can't really suggest a treatment without a biopsy. If it is a tumour it shouldn't be contagious.

The other possibility is a viral herpes type lesion in which case it is untreatable.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on what the best course of action for the fish and for the tank is? If it is a tumor, is it likely to be harmful/lethal? I hate the idea of euthanizing him, but I don't want him to suffer, either.

Is there any symptoms that would go with the viral-herpes type lesion? The internet isn't giving me much, besides pictures of human genitalia Rolling Eyes If this is the case, I'm assuming it'll kill the fish and is contagious, and I should probably quarantine him?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

No chances of it being a case of TB? It's something that seems to be quite common in latent form in rainbowfish here.

What are you feeding them? There has been some talk from rainbow enthusiasts on a local forum about how a diet that consists of too much meaty food can cause latent infections to manifest into an active disease.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose there's always the chance of it being TB... I boiled and bleached everything in the tank last April because of a suspected outbreak killing all my fish, and I've seen no reoccurrence since then, but I know its never truly gone.

I'm feeding TetraColor Tropical Flakes, Wardley Shrimp Pellets and Wardley Algae discs. That probably does count as too meaty, huh? They especially love the shrimp pellets, but I feed those for the catfish. I only feed two or three times a week, a pinch of flakes, a couple pellets and an algae tab gets dropped in about once a week.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't panic yet, never kept larger rainbows myself but they do seem quite prone to developing ulcers/lesions (which usually don't seem to be contagious like Sue has said).

Perhaps try adding a little bit more plant matter in their diet, don't know about Praecox rainbows but many of the other larger ones will eat plants particularly fine leaved ones and duckweed. Do you know whether yours have a go at blanched veggies?
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried giving them any blanched veggies in a while... I'll drop a couple in and see if they like them. Adding a few live plants wouldn't hurt either, I suppose.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I'm still wondering; would moving the pair to the six gallon for a while be the best choice for now? I'm concerned that six gallons is simply not big enough to keep these two in for any length of time, but I think I'd be better able to target feed them vegetation foods that way to see if it helps any.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a 15-20g, I'd say yes just incase it's something contagious. As it's a 6g I'm not sure I would, might just stress them out and cause whatever it is to progress faster. Since we think it's unlikely to be contagious (or already too late), they might just be better off in the main tank for now. See what Sue thinks - she has more experience with this type of stuff than I do.

Could you try feeding the shrimp pellets after the lights go out? They should be less active then so the Syno can hoover 'em up first. These seem like the most meaty of the foods so if they don't manage to eat these and eat a vegetable component (try this before the rest of the daily feed as that is when they are most hungry) that should hopefully cover the diet.

EDIT: Some links for you:

Short article on diet - http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Wilson_Rainbowfish_Problems.html
Myco (probably seen this before) - http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Myco.htm
Thread elsewhere on lesions/rainbowfish - http://www.rainbowfish.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2191
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.17(Mon)10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks unissuh, helpful links! I had indeed read the myco one before.

I'll adjust when I feed the pellets for sure! I hadn't even considered that. The catfish rarely (see: never) comes out during the day anyway, so it really doesn't make sense to feed him until nighttime.

I'll start feeding them some chopped, blanched veggies a couple times a week and see how he improves. Been thinking about adding some live plants in anyway, so I suppose this is as good of an excuse as any. =)

Thanks!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: