Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Planting a 60 Litre tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
LR
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)7:49    Post subject: Planting a 60 Litre tank Reply with quote

Hi I was wondering what would be best for growing a carpet plant - the current spec. Low tech, No C02 and a single T8 - we plan on getting a CO2 reactor - would it be necessary on investing in better lighting too? If that was the case, we thought an overhead would be good - the clip on ones that attach to the tank sides and hover over the surface leaving the tank exposed. They looked to be within budget so if anyone has experience with though advice would be much appreciated.

We were interested in Hemianthus Callitrichoides (HC) and also a variety of crypts not sure though, the stocking is currently 6 harlequins and two pearl danios which have been resident for around 3-4 years now - Any info on whether these are compatible with such plants would be great too Very Happy

Many thanks in advance!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you add CO2 you need better lighting but what size is the tank?

The clip ons are not usually as good as t5s or t8s with reflectors.
LR
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank is 60 litres.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 litres is the volume but dimensions matter too.
LR
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.17(Mon)16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dimensions are 30cms from front to back, across the front of the tank it's 60cms across and the height is 30cms. As for the lighting, we have a single T8 Power-Glo tube and it's a measly 15watts Laughing - We tried java moss a while back but didn't really achieve the results we hoped for - Hopefully with a C02 reactor this could change? Very Happy
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.18(Tue)3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

A powerglo with a reflector over less than 30cm should be more than adequate but HC will require CO2.

I would try the small crypts without CO2 first.

Is there glass or plastic between the lamp and the water? This can take out much of the light.

BTW that is a 54 litre tank.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.18(Tue)9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
If you add CO2 you need better lighting but what size is the tank?

The clip ons are not usually as good as t5s or t8s with reflectors.

You can grow HC with minimal lighting as long as co2 is in place (not diy co2 though) With HC co2 is FAR more important that light.

However I would suggest a dry start from the beginning, in this setup you would need a little more light. Since the HC is not completely submerged it gets the co2 that's in the air 300ppm. This is only a 60 liter tank so I would add fertile substrate.

So here's the break down...
1.Get some cheap strip lighting
2. fertile substrate
3. Fill tank to almost the top of the substrate
4. plant the HC sporadically 2-3 inches apart.

Once the HC roots well then I would fill the tank up and install pressurized co2.

This is the best method to insure the hc roots.
LR
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.18(Tue)13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. Fill tank to almost the top of the substrate
By this do you mean only partly filling the tank with water so the HC is just submerged? Would the fish mind this - How long would this take - Thanks for the advice though. Very Happy
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.18(Tue)18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only use the shallow grow technique for new tanks - you don't do it with livestock present.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.18(Tue)18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to go low-tech (which IMHO is way more fun, but requires a lot of patience), I'd actually recommend Marsilea spp. (which was recommended to me on this forum, Thanks unissuh).

I have Marsilea Quadrifolia (four-leaf clover) in my Fluval Edge work tank. The tanks only occupants are a couple shrimp and plants. I'm using flourite sand (great stuff) with root tabs. I dose excel every now and then but haven't had issues with algae or lack of growth in the Marsilea.

My lighting in the tank is very, very low (and probably will be upgraded soon). However, the Marsilea is still forming a carpet, albeit very slowly. This species has two forms of leaves, one that is a four-leaf clover and another that looks like this pic from flickr.

The plant is very hardy (again, my lighting is very very low, think .5-.8 WPG equivalent LED lighting).

HC is a very good looking plant, so if you want to invest the $$, enjoy yourself. If you'd rather invest the time (waiting for a full carpet), Marsilea is a good option. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Hopefully when I finish my next lighting mod on the EDGE, the rest of the plants in the tank will flourish.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: