Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New to it all!
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
aqua_pieman
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)6:09    Post subject: New to it all! Reply with quote

Hi,
My name is Kieren and I'm in Bideford, North Devon - the only place it can rain 8 days in 7.
Anyways, I'm an IT Tech by trade so if you have any pc problems drop me a private message and I'll see what I can do!

I currently own 2 tanks - one of which I am waiting to colect - and one of which I am trying to sell.

Unfortunately I have lost a vast amount of fish already as I trusted the girl in the pet store who said "Use this Tetra Safe Start and the tank will be habitable by the end of the week" - it appears this was not true and so they replaced my fish immediately - thus still not giving my tank a chance to cycle.

So at present I ony have 3 baby angels and a clown oach - all of which I am gearing uo to lose.. sad times.

My new tank will be being cycled properly regardless of if these fish make it or not as I am now a bit dubious of trusting this kind of product.

anyway - thanks for your time and for giving me the oppurtunity to join so that I can get some hep and advise,.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can possibly save your fish if you know anyone with a mature tank. It can be goldfish or tropical.

You need some media from their filter or some of the gunge from a mature filter.
If you swish a mature. filthy, filter sponge in some tankwater that mucky water will contain enough bacteria to boost start a new filter.
Do a large water change and then adding this gunge to your tank may save your fish. Otherwise daily water changes need doing. Just add dechlorinator.

Do you have test kits?

It is a shame so many people get poor information when setting out.
This may help -http://www.practicalfishkeeping.CO2.uk/directory2.php?action=search&q=Devon&subdirectory= but if the shop you went to is an OATA member do point them at page 16 section 9.2 of this - http://www.ornamentalfish.org/association/code/Code.pdf

You should be able to return your fish for a refund.

Last edited by diademhill on 2011.01.16(Sun)8:20; edited 1 time in total
aqua_pieman
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this advise.
I am waiting to collect an entire new setup (preowned) and so when I (eventually) get hold of the lady to collect it - will use this filter to carry out the filter gunge trick as you suggested.

thanks again.
multiplepets
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

before joining this site I was browings others and came across the same grunge trick because one of the walmart workers who sold me my 5 gallon tank also told me to try the same stuff (above) and also sold me fish that same day! I almost gave up the hobby when I found every single one of my fish dead the next day. So I tried the grunge trick from my parents filter and got more fish from a real pet store and it worked. So now I owe this amazing hobby to someone out there THANKS! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: