Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Angelfish Widow.. now what?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
izzys613
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.14(Fri)15:26    Post subject: Angelfish Widow.. now what? Reply with quote

I'm a first time Angelfish breeder.

But after my pair of Angels had their very first spawning ( well.. 'spawning" being inaccurate in this case as none of the eggs actually ended up hatching) anyhoo... after this, the male succumbed to somekind of unknown illness, probably a complication of a 'battle injury' he had sustained during courtship.

Now, I am left with one absolutely gorgeous veil pearl scale gold female.. but what good is a perfect female specimen without a mate to perpetuate her genes?

I don't know what I should do?

Should I try and get her another mate in the hopes that it "clicks" and she accepts him? The problem is, the breeder where I got them in the first place seems to be having issues with that same disease my male specimen had.. and I do not want to risk infecting my female by bringing another male from that same "batch", no matter how beautiful they are.

Or

Can I try and get her a replacement mate from another strain entirely (lil mix and match could be interesting..) But then.. by your experience with Angels, which is most probably a lot more extensive then mine,. what are really my chances of the female accepting a new mate? She is about 8 to 10 months old and pretty large already.

Her temperament is somewhat "submissive" if I can use that term.

The tank is a planted 25 gal tall.

What are my options here?

A small male, hoping to diminish the initial aggression from introducing an "intruder?"

A male of the same age? Hoping it will click?

Please let me know what you think about this situation or is my lady Angel doomed for a life of celibacy.. for her own good.

Thanks!

Planted 10 gal: Threadfin rainbows and golden pencilfish
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.14(Fri)15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan to breed you need at least one other tank - something like a 40g breeder at least - so you have somewhere to grow on another male.
Better if it comes from a different breeder as your fish may be the product of generations of sibling/sibling breeding.

Last edited by diademhill on 2011.01.14(Fri)15:59; edited 1 time in total
izzys613
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.14(Fri)15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I've been told that the 25 g tall would be sufficient, as long as I move the young into another tank.

And you're right about the in-breeding. That's probably why they have so much trouble right now with that "illness".

It's more the age issue I'm worried about. Is it better to try and get a younger male or one of the approximate same age?

diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.14(Fri)16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 25 tall is enough for a pair but you need lots of volume to grow angels well.

Age doesn't matter but size does. As long as the new male is sexually mature they should be OK but add a load of bunched plants at the same time as the male.
izzys613
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.14(Fri)17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:

add a load of bunched plants at the same time as the male.

Oh that's really smart. Thank you!

Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: